Gibson Brands Forums

PUP Swap,Dot Studio

jigman586

just looking for suggestions on a pup combination for my Epi Dot Studio.I was looking at SD Pearly Gates for neck and a SD Seth Lover for the bridge.I want that bluesy(Bonnamassa)/southern rock(Skynrd) sound.i play alot of country music too.Any help wouild be great i am green to this stuff.LOL

I personally feel the best combination is a P90 at the neck and humbucker at the bridge. As to which make then the world's your oyster but woulod suggest checking out the Mean 90 from GFS fo the P90.

No doubt many others will provide alternative suggestions but remember, everyone of them (including mine) are going to be based on what WE favour so should be treated as a starting point for your research.

pick-up questions are usually too subjective, so the most helpful thing we can really do is to recommend brands or pick-ups the we have personally been happy with in the past.

My favourite pick-ups at the moment are Wilkinson ones, I have snapped them up from ebay new for a very reasonable prices, the humbuckers i have tried sound really good.

wvcngd(1).jpg

There are some other great brands offering really good pick-ups for much fairer prices than the big name brands, but if you are feeling flush, seymour Duncan have a pick-up called a P-rail. I keep wanting to buy them for one of my own guitars but i'm just too skint to justify it during these hard times. :-({|= just imagine being able to change from P90 to 'bucker with the flick of a switch [cool]

p-rail link

pick-up questions are usually too subjective, so the most helpful thing we can really do is to recommend brands or pick-ups the we have personally been happy with in the past.

My favourite pick-ups at the moment are Wilkinson ones, I have snapped them up from ebay new for a very reasonable prices, the humbuckers i have tried sound really good.

wvcngd%281%29.jpg

There are some other great brands offering really good pick-ups for much fairer prices than the big name brands, but if you are feeling flush, seymour Duncan have a pick-up called a P-rail. I keep wanting to buy them for one of my own guitars but i'm just too skint to justify it during these hard times. :-({|= just imagine being able to change from P90 to 'bucker with the flick of a switch [cool]

p-rail link

+1 on the Wilkinsons Neil. My first guitar of this current round of obsession, which started 2 1/2 years ago, was a cheap chinese strat copy, $120 delivered, I already had 2 Epis on order at a dealer but couldn't stand the wait. I bought it simply to tide me over until the Epis arrived and to use as an experimental platform, upon playing it I found the installed pups to be terrible, I bought an SSS set of Wilkinson pups for it for $45 on eBay and they really kicked arse, I was extremely impressed by them, especially given the price.

I now have 60 odd guitars, and I've not bought another set of Wilkinsons since, not because I'm concerned with their quality, simply because when purchasing a set of pick-ups, they have never been listed in the configuration I want at the same time, if they were, I'd have no hesitation in purchasing them, cheap doesn't always mean nasty.

I now

Archived