Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio Deluxe upgrades

ajzwart

What upgrades should I make to my LP Studio Deluxe? Everything is currently stock, but I don't have the extra cash laying around right now to buy new pickups, as I'm making a purchase on a pretty high end acoustic later this year. Anyways, should I upgrade wiring, pots, pick up switch??? And/or any brands I should be looking for?

This all depends really on what sort of use you have in mind for the geet. If you're a bedroom noodler I would only recommend upgrading the 3-way switch and the jack, this would only be for reliability reasons, the best brand for them is Switchcraft. If your a gigging muso though then replacing the pots with CTS brand ones would be a wise investment, apart from the reliability increase they also have finer control through the ranges and while doing that upgrade replacing the capacitors with Sprague Orange Drop caps wouldn't be a bad choice, they should only cost about $5 a pair and are much better than the standard offerings.

As I initially stated, it all depends on what you intend to use the guitar for.

What upgrades should I make to my LP Studio Deluxe? Everything is currently stock, but I don't have the extra cash laying around right now to buy new pickups, as I'm making a purchase on a pretty high end acoustic later this year. Anyways, should I upgrade wiring, pots, pick up switch??? And/or any brands I should be looking for?

STUDIO DELUXE! Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?

Welcome to the forum [biggrin]

I would improve all the electrical gubbins. pots caps switch and rewire it all with good quality wire. it won't break the bank and you can choose to wire it up any way you like.

Archived