Gibson Brands Forums

tube pre amp?

pete c

what i have is a peavey 100w 2x12 trans tube combo, with a 4x12 slant cab. i get all my overdrive and distortion. etc. from pedals. i dont gig anymore, and dont want to buy a tube amp for jam sessions.

I bought a tube preamp recently, one of those Art MPs and it works well with several applications including running a bass through it and then to the PA.

On a SS amp I am not sure.

The tube in the preamp will matter too.

It won't be exact but I've seen several articles that claim that 80 - 85% of the "tube sound" is in the preamp - you simply don't overload the main amp tubes that often. It depends on exactly what sort of sound you're looking for. I've got one the the cheap Art tube preamps and it's not bad. If you go that route - find the one with the "automatic level control" - it makes a nice sounding compressor.

I used to run a set-up like that for years. I ran a Mesa Boogie V-Twin into a Solid State Fender M-80 amp. The V-Twin uses two 12AX7 tubes.

It works for a certain sound - the tube pre-amp overdrive sound is great. It did NOT have the dynamics of an all tube amp. The reason for that is because those dynamics comes from the power tube.

This is how I am defining the dynamics: The ability to sound clean by simply playing softer or a slight volume adjustment on the guitar. As you pick harder the distortion becomes more defined until it is all dirty.

Guitar into this

IMG_1019_0186_edited-1.jpg

Into this amp (upper right - the grey fuzzy one)

IMG_0321_0545_edited-1.jpg

Now, I play all tube amps such as the Ceriatone OTS thru the Port City wave cab

IMG_0322_0546_edited-1.jpg

For most applications tube is the way to go, (to me) solid state amps can sound good but they are not very versatile.

You (we all) are lucky these days though, there a lot of nice small tube amps on the market nowadays with plenty to choose from.

Make sure you get the features you want/need.

If you are using your cab you can save money by buying the head version.

im getting interested in these small "lunch box" tube heads. will they drive a 4x12 cab?

im really looking at the carvin v3m micro series head.

I just took a look at the V3M and to me it does not fall into the "MICRO AMP" field. The V3M is smaller in size but not in power @ 50 watts it will drive a full stack. When I think "MICRO" I think of the amps that run the power section off of preamp tubes and put out less than 1 watt. The lunch box amps like the vox, blackheart that run a class A EL84 at 5 watts are loud in a bedroom and will drive a 4x12 but don't have the clean head room at jam levels. The V3M does have 3 power setting which look like running 4 tubes for 50w 2 tubes for 22w and 1 for 7w.

i was wondering if i run a tube pre amp into the clean channel on a solid state amp. will i get the dynamics of the tubes?

only reason im thinking of this is the gain channel has quit,

I own a Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n. Two preamp tubes, 3band eq, gain knob and volume knob.

I bring it to open mic or to my friends warehouse and plug into the PA. Works for me.

However, it still may give the mojo and character, but i prefer a single channel tube head.

Since these guys i jam with had an extra cab, and i didnt have a higher wattage head, i settled with the PA.

the muff'n does the trick.

Archived