Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Triburst Special Acoustic Guitar vs modern classic J-45

eyesore

Would you recommend the triburst or should I stick to the rosewood modern classic? Tho the price for the triburst is appealing.. Thanks.

ask a question like that here and expect every answer known to man! and great opinions they will be but your own ear should dictate the purchase. get out to a shop (or some shops) that has a few different models and play them s/s. the subtleties of different models will become apparent, the differences between similar models can also be striking. the link you posted is a great price but you haven't heard it. if you get it in your hands and don't like it you'll be stuck with the PITA (pain in the a**) of returning it. bringing a friend is a good idea as well. they can play it and you can listen from a distance to hear it in a room. a lot of times, the j45 is like hitting water falling out of a boat, they're all pretty sweet, very well made guitars. i recently played the rw, hog and true vintage rw model and liked the TV best. actually, i loved it and considered posting another one of my children on ebay but the market was flooded by our brit counterparts doing the same thing but with more zeal!

in short, gibson spoils its owners and we can get pretty picky. pun intented/not intended, nudge, nudge, wink, wink. (my first python reference in 1 month!)

haha' date=' ok, I will do that. Thanks.[/quote']

you are in ann arbor? too bad herb no longer sells gibbies although last time i was there, he had a sweet j190 fusion that i loved. try elderly or the GC in southfield or both for comparisons - makes a nice day trip, like a spa day for players.

Eye-- there was another post re one one of these "icons" recently. Its not listed on Gibson's page, so its either a special run or clearance of an earlier series. IF its a strict acoustic (no pu), the build might be a little lighter than a mod-classic/historic. IE a good value. Ask the rep ( its GC; probably wont know much re flattops, but you can try) -- share what you find out? Mail order--might be worth a try if you can return it.

As for hog vs rw. Hog gets you clarity, cut, projection, high end shimmer and sparkle. Works well for a variety of styles (folk, blues, country, rock) and attacks (fingerpicking, strumming). RW is louder & generates more overtones but less sparkly. Bassy. Phat. Quick response (hog delays a little). Great for wall of sound neil youngish strumming. Check ytube samples. J

Thanks. I think I'm getting a hog from guitar center online, if it turns out a keeper I'll take it, if not I'll just have to get thru all the return process.

I asked musiciansfriend for the spec of the the "triburst" special and here's the reply I got(almost identical to the modern classic ones):

Dear Musician,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. The specifications are as follows:

J-45 True Vintage

Every Gibson Acoustic Guitar Features:

• Nitrocellulose lacquer finish for beauty and tone.

• Hand-fit, tapered dovetail joint to maximize sound vibration transfer from the

neck to body.

• Radius top to maximize sound projection

• Hand-scalloped top bracing for added strength and a light top

Best-seller since the 1940's and nicknamed by artists as "The Workhorse."

Handcrafted in: Bozeman, MT

Body

Body Style: Round Shoulder

Top Species: Premium Sitka Spruce

Back and Sides: Mahogany

Body Binding: 4-ply top, single-ply back

NECK

Species: Mahogany

Scale: 24-3/4"

Profile: V shape

FINGERBOARD

Species: Madagascar Rosewood

Inlay: MOP Dots

Nut Width: 1.725

BRIDGE

Bridge: Madagascar Rosewood

Bridge Inlay: MOP Dots

Pins: White

HARDWARE

Tuners: White Button Nickel Gotoh

Pickguard: Tortoise tear drop

OTHER

Case: Five-ply, made in America case with exacting vintage arching, accurate vintage liner, authentic replica nickel-plated latches, and accurate tan case covering. Provides maximum protection.

Those TV specs dont match the "Icon" in your link (block log) not the icon pictured on your link (also' date=' TVs cost more). Be a great price if it were![/quote']

I don't know, it gets more confusing since I specifically asked for the ICON specs and they sent me that specs:-s ...

you are in ann arbor? too bad herb no longer sells gibbies although last time i was there' date=' he had a sweet j190 fusion that i loved. try elderly or the GC in southfield or both for comparisons - makes a nice day trip, like a spa day for players. [/quote']

I went to herb david a couple days ago, they only got 1 gibson there and yes they no longer sell gibbies. That's actually a good thing for me, since their guitars are overpriced, I wouldn't have to worry about not letting go a good gibson and spend lots of $$$!

Archived