Gibson Brands Forums

Dilemma........

vourot

I currently own a 2007 AJ that I picked up in January. I love the sound and tone and it looks amazing. I should be satisfied with what I have but I found a j-45 that I really, really like. I don't know, maybe its the shorter scale length but that 45 seems to play effortlessly and I can't stop thinking about it. It's an 08 model and looks great as well. It is for sure the best sounding j-45 that I have heard. Am I crazy? I am actually considering talking to them about a trade, but I know I will most likely have to pay on top. Normally I would not bother but the store in question has 3 45's and for the first time that I have seen an actual AJ in store ( to this point I had never played another AJ ) So I was able to play them all and compare them. The AJ they have in store is not as nice as mine ( it has a miscolored fretboard ) Maybe I just like hog's better, but that damn thing plays so nice. Suggestions? Opinions? Anyway, they are asking 2075 for the 45 and 2250 for the AJ. Should I inquire? How much should I insist on for my AJ if I try this?.

Thanks, Paul

2075? sounds like an L&M price. my SWD was the same.

if you are a one guitar guy, sell the AJ. reason being, if you dont play it, it will just sit there and there are many who would get great use of it. however, if you play alot of guitars for different reasons, keep it just recording subtleties and nuances you can achieve. never sell anything you like. if its only a year old, you should be able to get good money for it but some others here will have to chime in with their opines. l&m will pipe you on trade value. they have to. they are not used or vintage people. private sale is your best bet. there several forum members who want one, myself included, but i am $everal month$ away from even entertaining the thought.

I had a lovely natural finish AJ with a big bold voice that everyone who heard it or played it said it sounded great. I agreed, which is why I initially bought it.

However, I found myself one time in a 'Gibson candyland' store with that AJ, and after playing several (I mean a couple dozen) other rosewood Gibsons of various models, I ended up trading that AJ in on a short-scale rosewood SJ model, for virtually the same reasons you note.

I suppose one can never have too many guitars, but the SWMBO factor is tough to ignore. So it was a "one for one" type of deal. :-)

Fred

It is indeed an L&M price cunkhead :-). Arn't monopolies great? Thanks for the replies, I think I just have to stop playing other guitars ( yeah right ) Ahhh choices. Its silly really to even entertain the thought as I do play my AJ all the time. Ah well, opportunities seem to present themselves when your looking for them...

AJ's are great guitars and I truly love most I have played. I have yet to play another Gibson that I like as much, but that is me. If you have found a guitar that speaks to you more than the AJ, I would say do the trade. You will be happier with a guitar that appeals to your personal taste. I love long scale for alternate tunings and the AJ fits exactly into the tonal spectrum that I like for DADGAD and especially Drop D tunings. Short scale may fit your style better though. If possible I would say get both and you will never regret it. I love having the choices to have one of mine in DADGAD, one in Drop D and one in Standard at all times. It makes playing much more fun than tuning all the time.

Archived