Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone FT-160 Texan 12 string

line6dave

Hello everyone i was wondering if someone could help? I recently purhased a Epiphone Texan FT-160 12 string

i am trying to find out when and where it was made, and how much it is worth

The serial # is 05780073 if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

please contact me @ dc.pdi.pro@gmail.com

post-32206-089425400 1301675545_thumb.png

It is a FT-160 Epiphone, 12 string manufactured during the "Norlin Years". It has the tan "Norlin, Lincolnwood" label.

She is the sister to my FT145SB - Texan, 6 string.

FT145SBfullsize-1.jpg "Texan" was a name borrowed from a more famous FT79 "Texan" of Beatles fame. These are two totally different guitars. I do not know if the FT79 was ever made as a 12. The blue label on mine places its' manufacture between '72 and '77.

This puts it built some time during of after 1977.

In 1979 / 1980 time frame, the FT models were replaced by the PR models.

This places your FT somewhere between '77 and '80.

No reliable listing of serial numbers/date of manufacture list during the Norlin years has ever come to light, so this is as close as it gets.

Value? junk value, to $250 depending on condition, location. How is the action? Is the neck block secure.

Read this thread to get a > > > Brief History of Gibson/Epiphone < < <

These guitars, while not very valuable, have tone that some, like myself, love.

It is similar to the FT165. Just, probably, with a bit less bling.

Here is a link that might interest you. > > > 1974 Epiphone Catalog < < < It predates your Epiphone, but the specs are essentially the same.

• 8 months later...

It is a FT-160 Epiphone, 12 string manufactured during the "Norlin Years". It has the tan "Norlin, Lincolnwood" label.

She is the sister to my FT145SB - Texan, 6 string.

FT145SBfullsize-1.jpg "Texan" was a name borrowed from a more famous FT79 "Texan" of Beatles fame. These are two totally different guitars. I do not know if the FT79 was ever made as a 12. The blue label on mine places its' manufacture between '72 and '77.

This puts it built some time during of after 1977.

In 1979 / 1980 time frame, the FT models were replaced by the PR models.

This places your FT somewhere between '77 and '80.

No reliable listing of serial numbers/date of manufacture list during the Norlin years has ever come to light, so this is as close as it gets.

Value? junk value, to $250 depending on condition, location. How is the action? Is the neck block secure.

Read this thread to get a > > > Brief History of Gibson/Epiphone < < <

These guitars, while not very valuable, have tone that some, like myself, love.

It is similar to the FT165. Just, probably, with a bit less bling.

Here is a link that might interest you. > > > 1974 Epiphone Catalog < < < It predates your Epiphone, but the specs are essentially the same.

Oh man! I got one of these 160's too. Mine was made in the mid 1970's I belive, it has Japan on a sticker on the back. Its a really nice sounding guitar but it needs some major work so I got it in my closet until I can find the money and some one who knows these guitars well. 521661 is its SN located on the back on that same sticker with the Japan stamp.

The 160's came natural or bursted like my 145.

Your serial number is meaningless. Serial numbers of this era were anything but serial.

What sound hole label is on your 160? Tan or blue? That would tell you if it were early/mid or mid/late '70's.

Have you seen my treatise on repairing a loose neck block?

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/37812-repairing-a-norlin-era-ft-guitar-with-broken-neck/

You may be able to do the repair yourself. 12 strings also have

a bad habit of having bridge failures. That's a whole other

fix entire.

This is likely part of your 160's problems.

Got any pictures you can post of your 160?

Just looked at it again and it has a blue tag and its like yours, a 145SB, so it's from the late 70s or early 80's? I'm guessing the finish is just faded. Some one gorilla glued the neck on the block so it will have to be cut and routed out and a new neck installed. I tried to steam it but the glue is to strong, I may just keep it for sentimental reasons. Its really to bad as it is a good sounding guitar.

Just looked at it again and it has a blue tag and its like yours, a 145SB, so it's from the late 70s or early 80's? I'm guessing the finish is just faded. Some one gorilla glued the neck on the block so it will have to be cut and routed out and a new neck installed. I tried to steam it but the glue is to strong, I may just keep it for sentimental reasons. Its really to bad as it is a good sounding guitar.

Early 70's made by Matsumoku of Japan.

Search this board for "Matsumoku" and you'll undoubtedly find a "Brief History of Epiphone" penned by a cat named Larens, years ago.

When new, mine was less yellow. The burst a brigher red and the sun like fresh cut pine. She's aged quite well, I think.

Yeah, I've seen some 'innovative' 'fixes' to the weak necked Norlins. :rolleyes: Sheesh!

• 7 years later...

The serial number for my FT 160 is 05780001. Possibly made the same day as yours? I bought mine new from Al's Music Machine in Lubbock TX in the spring of 1976. The neck is super thin, plays and sounds fantastic, and holds tune better than any acoustic guitar I have owned. Unfortunately, they seem to only be worth about what they cost new. Have never improved in value. 

• 9 months later...
On 4/15/2020 at 8:52 AM, FGraham said:

Where can I get parts for my FT 160 mid 70s model. Need nut and saddle as well as the adjustable saddle screws

Try Stewart MacDonald for an acoustic adjustable bridge replacement saddle as well as for a 12 string but.  I assume the adjustable saddle insert would be the same for a 6 string as well as a 12 string as the double strings are closely together, although I can’t say for sure.  Regarding the screws, you might want to try calling Stew Mac although I suspect just trying a bunch of different screws at a hardware store (if one is open during this shelter in period may be your best course of action for that.)

Another place you can try for the adj saddle and a 12 string nut is Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies.

Both have Internet online purchasing sites.

Hope this helps!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

On 6/17/2019 at 1:13 PM, Boogerwolves said:

The serial number for my FT 160 is 05780001. Possibly made the same day as yours? I bought mine new from Al's Music Machine in Lubbock TX in the spring of 1976. The neck is super thin, plays and sounds fantastic, and holds tune better than any acoustic guitar I have owned. Unfortunately, they seem to only be worth about what they cost new. Have never improved in value. 

I didn't notice this before.  My FT160 is from early 70s I figure, still in essentially mint condition.  My brother carried it back from Hong Kong.  They're probably only worth a couple hundred bucks, but as the newbie above mentions, they have a remarkably great sound!  Since I now have two jumbo Guild 12-strings and a Gibson Songwriter 12, the FT160 doesn't get much play, but it's just not worth selling.  A great travel/campfire guitar!

str167.jpg

On 4/17/2020 at 8:13 AM, QuestionMark said:

Try Stewart MacDonald for an acoustic adjustable bridge replacement saddle as well as for a 12 string but.  I assume the adjustable saddle insert would be the same for a 6 string as well as a 12 string as the double strings are closely together, although I can’t say for sure.  Regarding the screws, you might want to try calling Stew Mac although I suspect just trying a bunch of different screws at a hardware store (if one is open during this shelter in period may be your best course of action for that.)

Another place you can try for the adj saddle and a 12 string nut is Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies.

Both have Internet online purchasing sites.

Hope this helps!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Thank you so much!