Gibson Brands Forums

minor chord with a 2nd?

Guest Farnsbarns

Yeah, back when I was filling in for Steve on the Sex Pistols' sadly doomed 2nd album, I remember Johnny turning to me and asking if I could substitute a minor chord with a 2nd, but I kept telling him that it wouldn't sound the same as an added 9th. He said Bollocks! Who needs theory anyway... let's get back to recording.

I probably should have gone with the suggestion, and maybe the album would have gone on to inspire a whole new generation of punkers.

/shrug who knew??

At least I have all those concertos I wrote and the brain surgery to fall back on!

[thumbup][biggrin][scared] :mellow: [unsure][biggrin][thumbup]

OK, well I'm a jazz pianist first and foremost, so most of music career involved improvising piano parts from just given chords (no notes) in a piano score.

I don't claim to be 100% right about everything though. My answer is based on interpretation of the song.

OK, well I'm a jazz pianist first and foremost, so most of music career involved improvising piano parts from just given chords (no notes) in a piano score.

I don't claim to be 100% right about everything though. My answer is based on interpretation of the song.

There is no real right or wrong answer, but here's what I think. If you are pretty much in a minor mode setting with no real jazz licks on top I would call this chord Amadd2. My reasoning has to do with the fact that B note is within the Amin chord. The following chord (starting with the open A string): A-A-C-E-B would be an Amadd9 because the B note is above the main chord.

This again is my interpretation and arguments can be made for pretty much anything. For example I've see A-E-A-B-E stated as both Amsus2 and Asus2. It depends what's happening around the chord. If you're in the key of C then I'd call it Amsus2 over Asus2.

Please don't blast me! Again, it's all interpretation.

K, I have a head cold, so If I'm way off it's because I'm way off.

We're looking at Root, Root, 7th, 2nd, 5th. Assuming the composition is in Am we're looking at what I'd call a A7sus2. There is no Third, therefore it is a suspended 2nd. If it had a Third (assuming its a minor chord) it would be an Am7add2.

Do you need to know any of that stuff to play the chord? no. Do you need to know all that stuff if you want to describe the chord? Yes.

Of course if you haven't learned any Major or Minor Scales, all this means nothing. You see, Start with the Root. That's the first note in the scale. The second note of the major scale is called the second, the third is the third, the fourth is the fourth, fifth is the fifth, sixth is the sixth, seventh is the seventh, the eighth is the Root again. Now, if you're a Jazzer, the the next second after the octave root, it's a Ninth.

The minor scale is the same thing with a Flatted 3rd and a Flatted 7th. Flatted simply means "Half Step Lower". Half step is one fret.

Guest FarnsBarns

K, I have a head cold, so If I'm way off it's because I'm way off.

We're looking at Root, Root, 7th, 2nd, 5th. Assuming the composition is in Am we're looking at what I'd call a A7sus2. There is no Third, therefore it is a suspended 2nd. If it had a Third (assuming its a minor chord) it would be an Am7add2.

Do you need to know any of that stuff to play the chord? no. Do you need to know all that stuff if you want to describe the chord? Yes.

Of course if you haven't learned any Major or Minor Scales, all this means nothing. You see, Start with the Root. That's the first note in the scale. The second note of the major scale is called the second, the third is the third, the fourth is the fourth, fifth is the fifth, sixth is the sixth, seventh is the seventh, the eighth is the Root again. Now, if you're a Jazzer, the the next second after the octave root, it's a Ninth.

The minor scale is the same thing with a Flatted 3rd and a Flatted 7th. Flatted simply means "Half Step Lower". Half step is one fret.

There's no 7th and there is a minor 3rd.

You're exactly right about needing to know and I do need to describe it to a keys player. Actually I have now but the thread lives on.

I think It's funny that we got as far as possible inversions of this less than ordinary chord when you piped up and explained how major and minor chords and scales work. ;)

That head cold has got to you hasn't it. :)

There's no 7th and there is a minor 3rd.

You're exactly right about needing to know and I do need to describe it to a keys player. Actually I have now but the thread lives on.

I think It's funny that we got as far as possible inversions of this less than ordinary chord when you piped up and explained how major and minor chords and scales work. ;)

That head cold has got to you hasn't it. :)

You're right, I should have stayed in bed. [thumbdn]

I can't believe I counted that C as a G.

Archived