Gibson Brands Forums

G400 3 pup LP Custom

RaSTuS

I bought this up in "papacoyote's" thread on the same model, but don't want to hijack that thread. Mine has a flexi-neck and it's easy to change the tuning simply by applying a small amount of pressure to the neck. I can't see any movement in the joint and there's no paint cracking anywhere, I know this is an problem on some G400s, FWIW, I've had the neck pup out and can't detect any movement in the joint internally either, it has to be moving but it may be so little it's just too difficult to see by eye.

Does anyone know of a fix, I've considered taking the neck pup out and putting some screws through the tongue of the neck into the body, it's a drastic action and I really don't want to do it, especially if there's an easier fix available.

My G-400 Custom has no tuning problems what so ever,it stays in tune even when I Do Pete townshend style bashing on it.Putting screws into the neck joint seems to a bit radical to me.Why don't you try another option first by going to a lighter gauge string than you are using,that way there wouldn't be so much tension on the neck to cause possible tuning problems.I use D'Addario 8-38 on all my electric guitars partly because I have small hands and a neuro-muscular condition in my hands much like the one Leona Boyd has.I also do vigorous bending in the Albert King/Buddy Guy/Jimi Hendrix manner so the super light gauge allows me to bend from a G on the 3rd string 12th fret up to a C.

I bought this up in "papacoyote's" thread on the same model, but don't want to hijack that thread. Mine has a flexi-neck and it's easy to change the tuning simply by applying a small amount of pressure to the neck. I can't see any movement in the joint and there's no paint cracking anywhere, I know this is an problem on some G400s, FWIW, I've had the neck pup out and can't detect any movement in the joint internally either, it has to be moving but it may be so little it's just too difficult to see by eye.

Does anyone know of a fix, I've considered taking the neck pup out and putting some screws through the tongue of the neck into the body, it's a drastic action and I really don't want to do it, especially if there's an easier fix available.

Screws sound a bit drastic, but may work out just fine. If i understand correctly they will be hidden from view and could always be removed if necessary.

It could be that the only way to fix it properly is to remove the neck and re-set it. [unsure]

Archived