Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Riviera "used" on the back of the headstock

julesny

There is a place (MIRC) that takes broken and less than perfect guitars and fixes them, then sells them to pawn shops and Ebay sellers. They stamp "used" on the back of the headstock. They sell the fixed guitars (not to the "general public") for half price, or something like that. I'm sure someone will give you more information.

this is the place

http://www.mircweb.com/

from the site:

When a guitar shipment arrives at our warehouse, our Receiving Manager and his staff unpacks, counts and inspects each guitar. The manufacture’s serial number is removed and replaced with our MIRC serial number. Then the word “USED” is stamped on the back of the head stock. These last two steps are taken, to protect the interests of our manufactures and to prevent the filing of improper warranty claims. The guitars are then graded and prepared to go into our restoration shop

this sounds like that Sam Ash deal... the "Factory Second"... buy a guitar with 1/3rd the price of a new one for little dings and cosmetic issues that supportively doesn't affect the playability and sound... i think they either put Factory Second or something stamped on the back of the head not entirely sure though

I bought a Dot several years ago from MF that was a B-Stock. I don't remember the exact terminology when I got it. I got it for $250 and it was stamped USED on the back of the headstock. Other than a few cosmetic flaws, the guitar was in great shape. It came with the full warranty, which is now void because of all of the mods I've done to it. If I was in the market for a guitar and a B-Stock came up, I wouldn't be afraid to try out another one. But I would be more apt to buy from a reputable dealer so I could return it if I didn't like it (MF, M123, etc). My USED Dot is in my avatar and I have no intentions of selling it any time soon.

However, if you pan on selling the guitar in the future, and guitar with a USED stamp won't bring as much money. Just something to consider. I wasn't planning on selling mine when I got it.

Archived