Gibson Brands Forums

Need Info, Please Help

jayflynn

Looking for some info about a guitar..

Its an Epiphone Junior Model with a Gibson cover on the truss rod..its cherry red,double cutaway..according to the the serial number it is from 1997 and the letter j precedes the numbers on the serial..the checker i used could not verify the factory of origins.

its has five screws on the black pick guard and a p 90 pick up

im in the process of buying this guitar but i am unsure about it..

i want to upgrade the pick up and the tuners as soon as i buy it but my main concern is the wood used.

the buyer doesn't know much about it and can't tell me whether the guitar is solid wood or laminated.

From searching online i have found out that some of these guitars were made from mahogany but the serial on those don't start with a j.

Any info and advise would be greatly appreciated.

post-32674-035101400 1303248570_thumb.jpeg

Jay,

Not much help here as I do not know what kind of wood.

I can tell you that if I liked the guitar and believed it to be authentic the type of wood would not concern me.

Allow me to explain.

I bought a LP Special II for my grandson. The guitar is made of the typical Epi mystery wood, probably the least expensive of any wood used on Epis. After that, there is no doubt that it is laminated....as many Epi woods and guitars are.

Consider that even under those situations we had no trouble installing Grover tuners and adding new pickups.

The guitar plays well and sounds very good.

Maybe others will have a more definitive knowledge of the wood on that particular guitar.

If nothing else this will serve as a bump.

Willy

thanks alot..i have found out it is made from a mahogany laminate and it seems to be a mahogany neck..i will upload some pics soon if anyones interested..a bit of work is needed to get it right and any advice regarding would be greatly appreciated..

new tuners and a gibson p 90 pickup are a must i think but i need to sort the nut and neck first of all.

pics to follow

thanks alot..i have found out it is made from a mahogany laminate and it seems to be a mahogany neck..i will upload some pics soon if anyones interested..a bit of work is needed to get it right and any advice regarding would be greatly appreciated..

new tuners and a gibson p 90 pickup are a must i think but i need to sort the nut and neck first of all.

pics to follow

Congrats....sounds like the guitar is yours.....

OK....first things first....

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm

Don't know if this is basic stuff for you or not....

(Plenty like it in the DIY)

Looking forward to pics.

Willy

pics up more to follow..

thanks whitmore that site will come in very handy..

the nut on the guitar is crooked but i cant really sand away because it already sits to low..

there was a piece of folded card in it to raise it but i would like to do a better job and glue the nut in place too.

let me know what you guys think about the guitar...

thanks

post-32674-009690500 1304183230_thumb.jpg

post-32674-014664800 1304183545_thumb.jpg

post-32674-002386800 1304183604_thumb.jpg

post-32674-060271000 1304183663_thumb.jpg

Great little guitar Jay, hope you enjoy it. There are instructions for posting pics in the DO-IT-YOURSELF thread (compiled and maintained by animalfarm) pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge section of the forum. It the nut is already too low, scrap it, you're much better off grabbing a new one and starting fresh, I'd recommend a Graphtech Tusq XL nut, they're impregnated with teflon so the strings travel freely, for Epis the model is PQL-6060-00 and are only about $10 each, the nut will be slightly oversize, you'll have to do some filing/sanding to make it fit snugly.

thanks very much sir..much appreciated...was planning on changing it but was unsure about which..i ll take your advice and go with that.

the nut itself is alrite it looks like the previous owner took out a bit from the groove..i dont think you should be able to see the truss rod..i reckon theres another strip of wood meant to be there.

thanks very much sir..much appreciated...was planning on changing it but was unsure about which..i ll take your advice and go with that.

the nut itself is alrite it looks like the previous owner took out a bit from the groove..i dont think you should be able to see the truss rod..i reckon theres another strip of wood meant to be there.

On Epis you can see the TR, on Gibbys you can't, that's why Epi Truss Rod Covers have 3 screws (nothing to screw a centre position screw into) and Gibby ones have 2 screws.

Archived