Gibson Brands Forums

Black Dog & Rock and Roll

G McBride

This weeks guitar lesson is Zeppelin. Black Dog and Rock and Roll are the songs I am to learn this week. Instructor furnishes tabs and a little instruction and sends me on my way.

I am having a great time learning and seem to have turned a corner on playing lead and lick in the past month.

Any of the rest of you still learning and getting some instruction? I love taking in these good Gibson guitars for lessons and the instructor always wants to play them just because he said he doesn't get the opportunity to play these kind of guitars much.

This weeks guitar lesson is Zeppelin. Black Dog and Rock and Roll are the songs I am to learn this week. Instructor furnishes tabs and a little instruction and sends me on my way.

I am having a great time learning and seem to have turned a corner on playing lead and lick in the past month.

Any of the rest of you still learning and getting some instruction? I love taking in these good Gibson guitars for lessons and the instructor always wants to play them just because he said he doesn't get the opportunity to play these kind of guitars much.

You instructor is teaching you some good stuff man! Both of those are very fun songs to play! msp_thumbup.gif

One of my pet peeves when I took lessons was paying the instructor to sit there and write out the tabs in front of me. If yours is doing this, I suggest you just print off (decent) tabs off the internet to save time. You'll get more one-on-one time for your $.

Great idea, those tunes. They are "technical" enough to where playing them makes it happen without the need to concentrate on the "feel", and yet at the same time, they can be played with feel and lends themselves to it.

I wont accept tab from a teacher..whats the point? You can go through tab in your own time.. Buy Guitar Techniques, it has very accurate tab, lots of it approved by the artist etc. Running through tab in a lesson should not be allowed, but they all seem to do it..

I have 'sacked' two of them for it...one of them was getting the tab out of Guitar Techniques!!!

Seems good teachers are as hard to find as good luthiers!!!

+1

We all want to learn tunes so it's tempting but you are much better off concentrating on technique and fundamentals with your instructor.

Back when I started, I took lessons for less than 6 months, once a week, and I have been blessed with such a great ear that in less than 6 months I was learning new songs faster than my teacher was even though he was and probably still is a way better player than I was/am. We quickly got to the point where he was asking me how I did that on some new song we were learning. That's when I stopped.

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda found an instructor to focus more on the basics and I would probably still suk but probably suk less today.

Years ago (early 70s) when I first started learning correct technique and fundamentals my teacher asked me who my favorite musician was. My answer of course was the Beatles.

He immediately left and came back with a Beatles songbook. From then on every week of practice had 2 parts. The first part being the skills part and then learning a new song by the Fabs.

I could not get to the Beatles until I had first mastered my latest skills exercise.

Smart guy that teacher.msp_thumbup.gif

I have played guitar since I was 13 or so and that gives me over 40 years of playing. I was always a strummer more than anything. My instructor is teaching me different techniques and music theory as we play together. He will show me how to play things and then give me the tab that is already written up for each song we work on. As we play he will stop and say "do you know where that lick comes from" and then point out the scale that may apply to it.

I am learning a lot, reading tabs is one of the things I had to learn. Having read music most of my life I had a hard time thinking notes from tab numbers on a line. I am getting much better at it now.

Archived