Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Knob Pointers

ALFA ROMEO CORSE

Is it possible to install knob pointers on my SG Standard? knobs must be higher with pointers...

I 've got GOLD Guitar Knob Pointers. Those pointers are made for 5/16" pot shaft, is it ok for a Gibson? Those are 5/16".

I understand that 5/16" are for stock Gibson pots and 3/8" are for CTS pots, is it right?

sgstandard48.jpg

The only way to know is to try them. I have never had one not work though.

I like then because I use my controls and its nice to have an idea where they are set sometimes. A little trick is to bend the point up SLIGHTLY so it doesn't touch the wood on the outside of the knob, just in case they spin. Then you don't take a chance on scratching the finish tightening them or later if they do spin a little.

two full months later...

you still need to pull off one of the knobs and try it out. this is what you should see, minus the pointer:

5676082195_daa478eff1_z.jpg

shaft, ring nut, washer.

pointer is between ring nut and washer.

my pots have long shafts that is why the knob sits very high. if yours sit low, the pointer will prevent the knob from making contact with the body and causing marks.

If the ones that you have do not fit, the Allparts ones definitely do. I just installed a chrome set on a friend's Les Paul Traditional. The Allparts part # for gold is EP-0077-002 . Eight of them cost $7.50. My '61 RI has pointers under knobs that are flush against the body. Have a look at the pic.

P5015591.jpg

Is it possible to install knob pointers on my SG Standard? knobs must be higher with pointers...

I 've got GOLD Guitar Knob Pointers. Those pointers are made for 5/16" pot shaft, is it ok for a Gibson? Those are 5/16".

I understand that 5/16" are for stock Gibson pots and 3/8" are for CTS pots, is it right?

sgstandard48.jpg

If the ones that you have do not fit, the Allparts ones definitely do. I just installed a chrome set on a friend's Les Paul Traditional. The Allparts part # for gold is EP-0077-002 . Eight of them cost $7.50. My '61 RI has pointers under knobs that are flush against the body. Have a look at the pic.

P5015591.jpg

Alph Romeo Corse...SG Jones is correct on that. I want knob pointers for my new Gibson SG Standard and they were all out of them. The ones I had were for an Epiphone (I had pointers on both my Epiphones and also got ones for my Gibson CS-336 when I bought that last year) and since the Epiphone pot shaft is Metric as opposed to the American standard of measure, they won't work). Gibson is all out of them (no surprise; they get theirs from an OEM plant anyway). The guy at Alto Music in Wappinger Falls, NY where I bought my SG, told me he's going to order me a set from All-Parts like SG Jones is talking about. They're the same and a lot cheaper in price then the ones in the "Gibson" package. As one of the other guys pointed out (no pun intended) I like them because it helps me know at what setting I'm dialed into on both the Volume and Tone control knobs. Good luck...Paul

Archived