Gibson Brands Forums

Strapping it old style

Clayfingers

Hi there,

Looking for a strap for my ES-5 Switchmaster, but don't want to put the extra button in, so I'm looking to go for the tie around the headstock option. Anyone here doing this? If so, what sort of strap are you using? Any tips on how to tie it on, and/or make it work properly?

Cheers,

Clayfingers

Hi there,

Looking for a strap for my ES-5 Switchmaster, but don't want to put the extra button in, so I'm looking to go for the tie around the headstock option. Anyone here doing this? If so, what sort of strap are you using? Any tips on how to tie it on, and/or make it work properly?

Cheers,

Clayfingers

Not doing this on my Howard Roberts as it has two strap buttons as standard, but will have to do it on my new Southern Jumbo if I want to go with a strap (don't want to drill for a second button). Am doing it on my old cheapie acoustic, and have done so for years, using the cheapest nylon strap with soft leather ends and what seems to be a bootlace which came with it. Tied in a bow as it happens. Not sure that's right though, as over the years it has worn a slight patch/groove in the headstock, and am not keen to do the same on a beloved Gibson. I would seek advice from the acoustic forum, as it is mainly a conundrum for them these days. Many there do put extra buttons in their guitars, but there are also many who would never do so. In both camps there are plenty who have used headstock/nut ties in the past, and who can advise. One past thread mentioned a range of leather loops or clasps made by Martin, which fasten round the headstock using a strap button that can then also be attached to the end of your strap. They look neat, but I've not seen them on sale in Europe, even via our main internet retailers. I think you'll get a quicker and fuller response from the acousticos than here...

Edit: seeing as you're active on the acoustic forum too, you've probably worked this one out for yourself!

I've used the "shoelace" option for years with a variety of straps from storebought to home-made, also for an occasional electric as well as acoustic or AE.

I did get a Martin quick release a year or so ago that is kinda neat in a way but... I'm not sure it's at all necessary. I gave it away in a guitar swap and would have kept it if I thought it had all that much value.

I tend to extend the strap, tie the doubled shoelace above the nut so it and the leather strap end are tight, then adjust the strap to a comfortable place. Your mileage may vary.

m

Geo...

I think if you've a habit of shoving down on the guitar, probably it would create a difficulty.

But my experience is that you tend to hold the instrument a bit differently regardless... and it feels different.

m

Georg (Sind Sie Deutsch?)

Usually when I've had a flattop or archtop with that kind of strap, I found that the right arm actually played a big role in holding the guitar. That kept pressure away from the neck.

m

7f02f429.jpg

From 1967, one of the few photos I have of me playing a guitar with the strap attached to the headstock. It's a 1959 L-4C with a floating DeArmond pickup assembly clamped to the strings behind the tailpiece. Not my first choice for a standup concert, but it's what I had with me at the time.

Danny W.

Clayfingers...

The strap probably came with the "string" looped through the button hole on the strap. There are ways and there are ways to tie it on just above the nut, but I always have tried to have a double string tie there, then a knot. Some folks might wanna do a double bowline.

But almost any stable knot will do...

m

Georg (Sind Sie Deutsch?)

(No, I'm not. Actually, I live in an Italian region speaking both languages.)

So, I must assume that for this way of strapping is absolutely more advisable a deep-body guitar, like an acoustic or hollowbody, than a solidbody or a thinline.

I've personally only used the "old" style strap with flattop and archtop "electric conversion" guitars.

I think such as the "dot" may be a bit heavy for that kind of strap, but at least it is "full size" that allows most of the weight to be on the endpin button and allows the right arm to hold the guitar into the body.

Look at the triangle formed by the strap "old style" and figure the engineering question of weight distribution of a given instrument. Most weight still will be on the endpin, especially if the guitar is worn fairly high,

m

Archived