Gibson Brands Forums

It was one year ago today.

Searcy

Take care with that black mold.

I'm sure most folks figure that if Nashville looks pretty good downtown that all is fine and dandy. Floods don't work that way as you know from too-hard experience.

I still think Nashville did a far better recovery job than a lotta places could - it's just that flood recovery isn't instant as your own situation reflects.

I'm with you on the HenryJ thing. I've said I don't know if I'd like the guy or not on a personal basis, but if nothing else he's a fellow picker and certainly deserves respect on that basis, IMHO.

I'd still like to know how his guitars are doing. He made the comment that apparently at least some were those he'd had a hand in for design and truly, that kind of personal emotional investment gives a personal value that money can't buy.

And I'm absolutely with you on bringing the company back from a very bad place.

EDIT: Searcy... I don't know HenryJ at all, but... y'know in a sense, he may also be an example of the same "stick it to the man" thing - but one who exemplifies it by doing what he wants do in a non-traditional "MBA" sort of biz.

Think about it: Who would imagine a nice MBA would find some personal joy in making guitars and hanging out with a batch of reprobate musicians - and proving he could maintain a profitable U.S. manufacturing operation? I can see it now: "You think it can't be done? Hey, watch it happen."

m

That's sort of how I look at it I guess. One thing you'll notice in stories about how the Gibson Factory got back up and running it this. He take almost no credit for it at all. He says it was the employes that showed up and got them up and running in 90 days. I'd love to do a story on Gibson's total flood experience but I haven't had any luck with requests in the past.

SEarcy...

Yup... I think it'd make a wonderful story.

Also, HJ can say he had nothing to do with it, but one might consider that without a "go-ahead" and a belief it could be done, it wouldn't.

m

When I lived in Memphis in the 1980s I always wondered what would happen with a flood - even from hurricane backwash or perhaps another New Madrid quake.

That town is low. There are higher spots, but in general...

m

Archived