Gibson Brands Forums

What's your SG Bass action?

Lungimsam

I've never measured the actual string height. I like relatively low action so I set all my basses to a neck relief of .015" at the 8th fret, then set the string height as low as possible without buzzing. I also adjust the string height to the radius of the fretboard. Once the intonation, radius, and string heights are set to my liking, I almost never have to adjust the bridge again (unless the string gauge is changed). Once a bass is set up properly, the only adjustment I usually have to make is the neck relief. On my Gibsons, adjusting the relief is necessary quite often (seems like every time the weather changes), but my fenders require very little attention. My Yamaha TRB-4P, with a 5 piece neck-through has only been adjusted 3 or 4 times since 1992! The height of the action is a purely personal thing, players that slap & pop wouldn't like my set-up, and I have a difficult time playing a bass with higher action. So set it up the way you like it, start with the factory recommendations and tweak it from there to the way you like it. Keep checking the intonation, because every neck or bridge adjustment effects it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived