Gibson Brands Forums

Hey, Epi 1...

When are you guys going to (1) re-introduce the standard Riviera model,

with mini-humbuckers, and frequensator or Bigsby option tailpiece, with

the correct headstock inlay, back to the USA? And (2) change the "Dot"

headstock inlay, to the proper "Crown" and put the current dot inlay, back

into the various Riveira models, where it belongs?!! HMMMMM????!!

It's just SO Wrong, the way it is. LOL ;>)

CB

Agreed that an accurate Riviera reissue would be great, but disagree on having a crown inlay on the Epi Dot. Don't know why, but it bugs me to see the Gibson crown combined with the Epi peghead & logo. A few years back when there was a Korean Riviera in production with mini humbuckers, they goofed it up by putting that darn crown on there!

Agreed that an accurate Riviera reissue would be great, but disagree on having a crown inlay on the Epi Dot. Don't know why, but it bugs me to see the Gibson crown combined with the Epi peghead & logo. A few years back when there was a Korean Riviera in production with mini humbuckers, they goofed it up by putting that darn crown on there!

So, the Epi SG's, Les Paul's and other's with the Gibson "Crown" bother's you, too? ;>)

I have no problem, whatsoever, with them using the crown, on Epi guitars, especially

the one's that are, in fact, Gibson clones, which the Dot is. The Riviera, however,

was an Epiphone model of it's own, similar to the ES-335, but with it's own spec's.

And, the inlay on those originals, was like the one, on the Dot (now), and the past

Elisits Riviera versions. The European exported versions, also have the correct inlay.

Even the Japanese Dot's have the crown, now...and some even have neck binding, as well.

So, why can't WE (USA) get those models, with the corrected spec's, no matter where

they're made? ;>)

CB

Charlie - Actually, the only part of Epi's lineup I focus on are the hollow & semi-hollowbodies. If the guitar has the traditional Epi hourglass headstock, I'd rather see an original Epi inlay, such as the one found on Epi's Dot. To me that looks very cool. Sure the Dot is a copy of a 335, but the headstock is not. There are many wonderfully historic Epi inlays, so why borrow from Gibson & make the guitar look like a Gibson wannabe? And note that the pickguard used on the Epi Dot is based on the traditional Epi design, not Gibson's. Again, a very cool thing, imho. As for Epi's LPs & SGs, those designs have no basis in Epi history, so there's no traditional ornamentation connection to be made anyway. This certainly is not a knock on Gibson's visual cues. I've got eleven Gibsons right now & love 'em. It's just that Epi's historic designs (pre or post Gibson ownership) are very attractive & I enjoy seeing them utilized.

Charlie - Actually, the only part of Epi's lineup I focus on are the hollow & semi-hollowbodies. If the guitar has the traditional Epi hourglass headstock, I'd rather see an original Epi inlay, such as the one found on Epi's Dot. To me that looks very cool. Sure the Dot is a copy of a 335, but the headstock is not. There are many wonderfully historic Epi inlays, so why borrow from Gibson & make the guitar look like a Gibson wannabe? And note that the pickguard used on the Epi Dot is based on the traditional Epi design, not Gibson's. Again, a very cool thing, imho. As for Epi's LPs & SGs, those designs have no basis in Epi history, so there's no traditional ornamentation connection to be made anyway. This certainly is not a knock on Gibson's visual cues. I've got eleven Gibsons right now & love 'em. It's just that Epi's historic designs (pre or post Gibson ownership) are very attractive & I enjoy seeing them utilized.

Well, my "thing" on this, is that they put the wrong "traditonal" inlay, on each guitar!

The Dot, is a ES-335 clone! The Riviera, IS an original Epiphone model. Why should it have an un-original "crown," when the DOT would be the more likely candidate, for that? Put the Dot's (current) inlay, back on the Riviera's, where it belongs! IF they want to leave it, on the

Dot, also...OK...but, it's just very strange, to me, that they did that, in the first place...along with putting the crown, on the Riviera's! Weird!

Sorry... ;>b LOL How come the Japanese "get it," and Gibson/Epiphone China (or even Korea, before that), don't?! The Elitist's, both the Dot, and the Riviera, had their correct headstock inlays, regardless of the Elitist Dot, having the more Gibson like headstock, and the Riviera having the trational Epi hour-glass version. The inlays, were correct, on both. There's no reason, that I can think of, NOT to do it right, to begin with...Is There?![confused] ;>b

And, Yes, I'm being "anal" about this! But, it's because is just WRONG! LOL

CB

Archived