Gibson Brands Forums

gary moore playing slide on an SG...

S t e v e

Thanks for giving us a bit of quality here this morning.

A humbucker? Interesting choice for a slide machine ain't it?

I don't get what makes it an unusual choice. I don't get what makes any one type of pickup any better for slide than any other...'splain it to me? [confused][smile]

I think that's probably my favorite GM performance. Definitely shows off his talent in a great way. RIP.

I don't get what makes it an unusual choice. I don't get what makes any one type of pickup any better for slide than any other...'splain it to me? [confused][smile]

I think that's probably my favorite GM performance. Definitely shows off his talent in a great way. RIP.

Not a bad choice, just interesting.

The p-90 with it's "DIRT" and punchyness makes it a little more suitable for a dirty slide thing. Just thought that it was interesting that he traded it for a humbucker on a guitar that had a p-90 in the beginning.

Most who go for that dirty slide tone have a tendency to use guitars with p-90's for a slide guitar, or rather, a lot of players who use humbuckers would only prefer a p-90 over a humbucker because of what it can do for thier slide playing. Also, when it comes to slide players, the ones who prefer a humbucker over a p-90 usually are going for more something in the other direction than the elmore james type stuff, and those going for the elmore james style usually go for the p-90.

Just thought it was interesting that the rules don't seem to apply here, considering how versed Mr. moore seems to have been with different traditional guitar tones.

But then again, I have never been aware of him using a p-90 for anything.

Not a bad choice, just interesting.

The p-90 with it's "DIRT" and punchyness makes it a little more suitable for a dirty slide thing. Just thought that it was interesting that he traded it for a humbucker on a guitar that had a p-90 in the beginning.

Most who go for that dirty slide tone have a tendency to use guitars with p-90's for a slide guitar, or rather, a lot of players who use humbuckers would only prefer a p-90 over a humbucker because of what it can do for thier slide playing. Also, when it comes to slide players, the ones who prefer a humbucker over a p-90 usually are going for more something in the other direction than the elmore james type stuff, and those going for the elmore james style usually go for the p-90.

Just thought it was interesting that the rules don't seem to apply here, considering how versed Mr. moore seems to have been with different traditional guitar tones.

But then again, I have never been aware of him using a p-90 for anything.

Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation, dude! [thumbup]

Archived