Gibson Brands Forums

Would you pay $900 for this guitar?

Lee M

There's a 1993 Gibson Gospel for sale at Elderly described as follows: "EC except needs some work (reglue bridge, glue and cleat center seam cracks, reglue loose top brace, dress frets, setup, etc. - sold AS-IS)."

I guess EC just means cosmetic condition, not structural. This seems high to me given the amount of work it needs. Are Gospel reissues really going for this much? If so, maybe I should sell mine. It's got a couple rubs on the face but doesn't need any work.

Lee....this is just me.....BUT....sounds like this guitar was left in a hot trunk, breaking the bond or melting the glued areas as described. $900 is what these guitars go for in the Bay area, with no problems. Here those repairs would be very expensive, pushing the price up to maybe $1400.....You can get Songwriters, and even J-45's for about this price locally on craigslist.....so why would you pay that for a guitar with laminate back and sides??? Just saying........

Sounds like a lot of work for a $900 Guitar...

All the frets look like they need some serious cleaning and polishing, possibly even replacement if there isnt enough material to work with, this is probably the most daunting task as you will need to radius and shape each fret, its tons of time consuming work. It looks like it is in good cosmetic condition but the lack of pictures of said center seam cracks, loose brace and loose bridge are a little scary, if its damage then they should show you the extent of the damage instead of trying to hide it and selling the guitar AS-IS. In short I would say $500-600 maybe a bit more if the work it needs isnt as drastic as it sounds.

Here those repairs would be very expensive, pushing the price up to maybe $1400.....You can get Songwriters, and even J-45's for about this price locally on craigslist.....so why would you pay that for a guitar with laminate back and sides??? Just saying........

I agree, although as the owner of one, I will say it is a fine sounding guitar. I've gotten many compliments on the sound of mine at open mic nights and it certainly wasn't due to my playing! [biggrin]

I paid $560 for mine (used) in 1998 so I was just surprised at the asking price.

With the work that it needs, I think your money could be better spent elsewhere. The $900 price range can often land a very good used instrument in excellent playing condition.

I'm not interested in buying it since I already own a Gospel. I was just wondering if that was a realistic price. If it is, I might try to pedal mine for something else.

how can they say it's in Excellent Condition when it needs so much work..?????

what a joke. [thumbdn]

Elderly explains on its site how they separate cosmetic condition from structural condition (my interpretation of their page on their ratings.) If the structural issues can be fixed, then they think the cosmetic condition is important to the buyer.

Elderly explains on its site how they separate cosmetic condition from structural condition (my interpretation of their page on their ratings.) If the structural issues can be fixed, then they think the cosmetic condition is important to the buyer.

Actually, their rating IS a cosmetic condition rating. If you look at the guitar - http://elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-13433.htm - it looks to be in excellent cosmetic condition. Elderly is my local shop, and I can tell you that with their clientele, that guitar will eventually sell. Elderly moves a lot of used Gibsons.

As far as what they're going for right now - there's a couple listed on fleaBay that aren't posted near this amount. Another one ended May 4 listed at $945 and no bids. So at that price ($900) you'll most likely be waiting to find a buyer.

As far as what they're going for right now - there's a couple listed on fleaBay that aren't posted near this amount. Another one ended May 4 listed at $945 and no bids. So at that price ($900) you'll most likely be waiting to find a buyer.

The last 2 actual Ebay sales went for slightly under $800 so yes, Elderly's asking price seems high given that the guitar needs a lot of work.

Archived