Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul's signature on label?

adius

The '72 - '74 Les Paul Signature guitars have a label with Les Paul's name written on the label. I once heard that he signed those labels but have no idea if that is true. Does anyone know?

The '72 - '74 Les Paul Signature guitars have a label with Les Paul's name written on the label. I once heard that he signed those labels but have no idea if that is true. Does anyone know?

Good question - you should post this in the Les Paul forum. These hollowbody guys in here think LPs are vinyl records!

Good question - you should post this in the Les Paul forum. These hollowbody guys in here think LPs are vinyl records!

Good advice and will follow your suggestion. Thanks. And you probably hit on the root of the problem. I still have all my vinyl including an album by Duane Eddy. msp_laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would try to take a picture of the labels in my LP Sigs......... If there are any signature experts out there, what's your opinion on this?? Les Paul signed a lot of guitars, maybe somebody can post a picture of his signature for comparison.

LPSigLabel.jpg

LPSigBassLabel.jpg

Also, if ther are any other LP Sig owners out there, post pics of your labels for comparison. [thumbup]

It is most likely not Les's actual signature. The label is a stock one that was used on several models and the person applying the label would hand write the model name on it before putting it on the guitar. The tradition of hand writing the model on the label still continues today. In the photos of those labels, it seems that one is by a left handed person and the other a right handed person, but that is just a guess.

It is most likely not Les's actual signature. The label is a stock one that was used on several models and the person applying the label would hand write the model name on it before putting it on the guitar. The tradition of hand writing the model on the label still continues today. In the photos of those labels, it seems that one is by a left handed person and the other a right handed person, but that is just a guess.

Yes, it seems this twenty year old (to me) myth was busted. Appreciate the response.

Archived