Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Custom Les Paul vs. Epi LP Standard

irvin1701

Was going to purchase Epi LP Standard and do some pup upgrading then i ran across an Epi LP custom for $110 dollars more w/case. W/ case LP Standard is 479 vs 589 for cstom. Can also get Epi Nighthawk for same price as Standard or strech my budget and get a low priced Gibson ie: LP faded or the new LP Studio w/p90's. Would like some forum opinions please.

Epiphone 1959 LP Tribute

1984 Tokai Super Strat

Epi LP Standard Plain Top(Seymour Duncan PUPs,bone nut,UPgraded wiring,pots and switch)

Ibanez JET KING 1 and 2 w/up grades

'67 Fender Tele

Custom built Tele Styled guitar

'59 Martin D-28

Get the Nighthawk I recommend them.

The Epi Custom is PURELY for bigger looks, GOLD & More binding other than that its the same as a standard...

Regarding getting a Gibson get the P90 one since you have the 59 like me you already have a Les Paul with the Gibson Burstbuckers inside

Heres a Nighthawk video [thumbup] (I own the "Gary Moore" Amberburst model)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nOgNCI4wtQ

BTW I've never heard of a '1959 tribute' model [confused]

there's a 1960 and a 2010 tribute [confused]

He means the Epiphone Les Paul 1959 Standard, the same one I have in my signature...

Since you already own two Epi LesPauls....

I'd go Nighthawk [thumbup]

BTW I've never heard of a '1959 tribute' model [confused]

there's a 1960 and a 2010 tribute [confused]

Thanks for the post. Was leaning towards Nighthawk or the 1960, but it's similar to the '59. Truss cover says LP Standard 1959, Burstbuckers, nitro finish litton style case w/epi logo,# certificate of authenticity, purchased from Guitar Center 2009, it actually kept me from buying a Gibby faded studio LP(same pups,wood quality was solids, sound is as good, I'm sure there aredifferences, but i'm happy). Thought about buying the new Gibson studio lp w/p-90's or getting a faded gibby lp ($850-$900) if i stay low, low budget ($500 or so) will probably buy Nighthawk w/ sg .case. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Irv

Thanks for the post. Was leaning towards Nighthawk or the 1960, but it's similar to the '59. Truss cover says LP Standard 1959, Burstbuckers, nitro finish litton style case w/epi logo,# certificate of authenticity, purchased from Guitar Center 2009, it actually kept me from buying a Gibby faded studio LP(same pups,wood quality was solids, sound is as good, I'm sure there aredifferences, but i'm happy). Thought about buying the new Gibson studio lp w/p-90's or getting a faded gibby lp ($850-$900) if i stay low, low budget ($500 or so) will probably buy Nighthawk w/ sg .case. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Irv

The 1960 Standard only has 2 differences to the 1959, Burstbucker 1+2 instead of 2+3 and a slim neck if your getting a V3 model so its not a very big difference to say the least...

Right, the axxe on the far right in the gruop shot. I'm going with the Nighthawk today and the P-90 Gibby (Got just enough studio work to pay for them and a couple of amps,Blackstar HT SOLOIST 1X12 60 WATT and a Bugera %% WATT 1X12), Macon GA is great for gigging(if u can find a reliable band) but lousey for studio work unless u hit the ATL.

Thanks,

Irv

Archived