Gibson Brands Forums

St. Anger

Crocstar6

Hope this helps you Riverside

There are seven scales in classical music that go back hundreds of years, they are in accending order the Ionian, the Dorian, the Phrygian, the Lydian, the Mixolydian, the Aeolian and The Locrian. They begin let's say on the white keys of a piano or a guitar with the major scale or Ionian which goes CDEFGABC.

The next classical scale is the Dorian which starts at D and goes DEFGABCD. No sharps or flats. The Phyrgian scale is EFGABCDE, the Lydian scale is FGABCDEF, the Mixmolydian scale is GABCDEFG, a major with a flat seventh, the Aolian scale is ABCDEFGA or the A minor scale, and the Locrian scale is BCDEFGAB. These are all the seven classical scales.

What makes it a particular classical scale is the note you start on which is the bass note, for example the left hand of the piano or the bass guitar would be playing that note for you to play over. There is a simple way on the guitar of playing all of these classical scales with only one shape, the minor shape, or whichever one you choose to transpose. Lets say you like the minor scale shape and your bass note is always A. Starting with A minor scale, move the shape of the notes you are playing up two frets, until you are playing the B minor scale.

With the A bass note the B minor scale is the A mixmolydian. ABC#DEF#GA. Now move up to the C#minor scale and you are now playing A Lydian scale. ABC#EbEF#G#A. Move up to D minor over A and its the Phrygian scale, E minor over A and its the Dorian scale, F# minor over A and its the Ionian scale (or major), and G minor over A and its the Locrian scale. There are only seven classical scales, but they can be played in many different ways.

Using this method, you can play all the classical scales by remembering one shape and its relative starting point to the bass note. As you can see the order of which minor scales fit is determined by using the mixmolydian scale as a guide for which minor scales to play over the bass note.

No offense, but I disagree. The above are all modes, their intervals change inside of the scale and don't follow the scales interval structure. In Church Music Of The 12th Century 101, some modes were "good" or major, some were "evil", minor. The scales themselves were of no goodness or badness, but the modes and intervals had relative value, a IV -> I being the Church Cadence I believe, as example. In essence, there are no "classical" scales, but there are very scarey dudes in metal bands that have learned a mode or three. Theory takes more than a forum post to digest for sure.

rct

Those guys are scary good.

They have a mode or three that they invented (I'm sure that those are the "bad" ones...), and they write some killer poetry like "...down to sleep, a bag of candy at my feet. If I should die before I wake, I hope I die of a tummy-ache."

Genius, I say.

Genius!

I chuckled mightily Riverside. I am not a big fan of Metallica, not since Lars SWORE they would

NEVER

MAKE

aVIDEO

right before One was on the eMpTyV. But they really are a good band, they are seriously good at what they do, I'd watch them on teevee any time. I don't own any of their records, couldn't play a song of theirs even on my 'splorer if I had to, and Hetfields voice just crax me up but MAN they are good at what they do and they've sold a whole crapload more records than I have, so somebody likes them.

Ten years ago Hammett and I used cabinets made by the same guy in Florida, his were camo I think, mine are Leopard Skin. Our cabinets were on the guys home page.

That's all I got about them guys.

Oh, yeah, "I'm worth 40 million dollars, I care what a 50k a year critic thinks?". Lars actually said that.

rct

I chuckled mightily Riverside. I am not a big fan of Metallica, not since Lars SWORE they would

NEVER

MAKE

aVIDEO

right before One was on the eMpTyV. But they really are a good band, they are seriously good at what they do, I'd watch them on teevee any time. I don't own any of their records, couldn't play a song of theirs even on my 'splorer if I had to, and Hetfields voice just crax me up but MAN they are good at what they do and they've sold a whole crapload more records than I have, so somebody likes them.

Ten years ago Hammett and I used cabinets made by the same guy in Florida, his were camo I think, mine are Leopard Skin. Our cabinets were on the guys home page.

That's all I got about them guys.

Oh, yeah, "I'm worth 40 million dollars, I care what a 50k a year critic thinks?". Lars actually said that.

rct

Of course, you're right and so was Lars.

Just havin' some fun.

No offense, but I disagree. The above are all modes, their intervals change inside of the scale and don't follow the scales interval structure. In Church Music Of The 12th Century 101, some modes were "good" or major, some were "evil", minor. The scales themselves were of no goodness or badness, but the modes and intervals had relative value, a IV -> I being the Church Cadence I believe, as example. In essence, there are no "classical" scales, but there are very scarey dudes in metal bands that have learned a mode or three. Theory takes more than a forum post to digest for sure.

rct

Actually you have a very good point and I agree with you(except the part about being scary metal dudes lol). Nice to see people that know not only theory but also history.

Archived