Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton pup ht

bluesboy1

Greetings, I have just had a pair of Gibson '57 Classics installed on my Sheraton. Any recommendations on pickup ht? I play mostly Chicago-style blues.

cheers

I usually start with the neck about 10mm (3/8") from the strings and the bridge about 6 - 7mm (1/4") away, then I do a volume and articulation test and fine tune from there, be mindful also that the neck pickup has more magnetic influence over the string's ability to vibrate and resonate, due to it's position along the string's length, so it should never be so close it adversely the strings.

More info on this will be in the DO-IT-YOURSELF thread, pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge section, thanks to animalfarm who compiled and maintains it.

I usually start with the neck about 10mm (3/8") from the strings and the bridge about 6 - 7mm (1/4") away, then I do a volume and articulation test and fine tune from there, be mindful also that the neck pickup has more magnetic influence over the string's ability to vibrate and resonate, due to it's position along the string's length, so it should never be so close it adversely the strings.

More info on this will be in the DO-IT-YOURSELF thread, pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge section, thanks to animalfarm who compiled and maintains it.

I was thinking about raising my neck pickup on my '06 Sheraton I just bought. It looked too low - even with the p/u ring. The bridge is a tad above the ring. With the action so low on this, I hadn't thought about how the magnets would play with the strings. Both sound well balanced with their volumes and gives nice warm, mellow tones. Glad I read this first before messing with it.

+1 for not geting too close to the strings.

Just got through playing around with my Broadway with headphones and a little Bugera V5. Man, those '57 Classics are amazing! They're the best replacement pups I've ever bought--over Fralins, DiMarzio, Duncan, and Heywood. There are little delicacies and nuances with these pickups that playing remains an aural treat. Of cours, having a big-*** hollowbody with huge flatwounds helps!

How are you getting on with your '57 Classics?

Archived