Gibson Brands Forums

Clean or Crunch for Effects

ne14t?

Ok so my amps have always had an effects loop to plug into which worked great. But the Marshall Haze 15 Head doesn't have a built in effects loop (but the combo amp does [cursing]) I absolutely did not like how the POD sounded in front of the Haze, the effects and stuff worked great but it made it sound more like a Modeling amp which is what I had just gotten rid of! I sold my POD last night as I was only using the effects for it so having the modeling unit seemed a little redundant at this point, so I took the cash and went and grabbed a couple stompboxes to start my new chain. I was kinda kicking myself for sending my best friend my old BOSS pedals but UPS dropped them off at his house yesterday about two hours after he picked up his first electric guitar, probably made his day, its a very dated pedal board but it was free and probably has more value then his Epiphone Les Paul and 15W Line 6 amp /tease!

For what Long and McQuade gave me for my POD I was able to get a MXR Fullbore Metal and a MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive and walk away with $107 cold hard cash which I then used to pay my account with them! After watching a double sudden death overtime hockey game I rushed home from a place where they dont serve any alcoholic drinks to try the pedals :-" . I am running into the Fullbore first as its got the gate built in it, and then into the Wylde OD and directly into the front of my amp. I noticed right away that the tone was extremely different just by changing between the clean and crunch channels of the amp. I was wondering how most of you ran your effects, do you just do it on the clean channel or do you do it on your crunch channel to dail in/out more gain at the amp itself?

1000000242.jpg

The knobs are not at the tone I want, I was just screwing around with them. Though I think in that picture when I had my amp on the crunch channel I was getting a pretty close tone to Slayers Raining Blood. I heard a lot of mixed reviews on the Fullbore, and I think the people spreading the hate either didnt know how to use it or were using it behind a really crappy amp because the first riff I played through it out of the box sent chills down my spine it was sooo evil.

My amp has no master volume or FX loop so I crank it to the sweet spot and run my FX through the front. Never had an issue.

btw - the Wylde OD is a deceptively sweet pedal. I have tried and heard it with low gain setups like a Tele into a Twin Reverb and it gives a nice crunch. Very un-Zakk Wylde.

My amp has no master volume or FX loop so I crank it to the sweet spot and run my FX through the front. Never had an issue.

btw - the Wylde OD is a deceptively sweet pedal. I have tried and heard it with low gain setups like a Tele into a Twin Reverb and it gives a nice crunch. Very un-Zakk Wylde.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to try setting up my clean for it. Yeah the ZW OD sure didnt seem all that Wylde to me (har har har) I really wanted the MXR custom shop GT-OD but the silly folks up here didnt keep it on the shelf, and from a few reviews I read it was very similar to the ZW but with a different case and about $10 cheaper (that extra $10 probably covers the Zakk Wylde endorsement!)

I can confirm that the Wylde OD is the same pedal as the GT-OD kinda a joke but w/e its still a really nice pedal in the long run, I am digging its tone for playing the old rock like Cream, Jethro Tull and stuff, great little pedal. I confirmed it when I opened up the little booklet to see how Zakk sets his OD pedal up, and well right in the instructions for the Wylde OD pedal they were calling it the GT-OD...cheaters!

Archived