Gibson Brands Forums

Rainbow Tube?

guitarmanjt

At the top of a tube there is what appears to be a silver lining on the inside of the tube. (no, it is not a metaphor to those who know what I'm talking about). In looking at this TungSol 12AX7, there seems to be a rainbow ribbon in this small section of the lining, kind of like an oil spot on wet asphalt. Is this an issue for the tube...is it defective?

At the top of a tube there is what appears to be a silver lining on the inside of the tube. (no, it is not a metaphor to those who know what I'm talking about). In looking at this TungSol 12AX7, there seems to be a rainbow ribbon in this small section of the lining, kind of like an oil spot on wet asphalt. Is this an issue for the tube...is it defective?

Nope. that silver paint looking stuff is to dissipate heat.

If you want to "see" wear, look at the tube at the bottom around the area where the pins are and at the base. if it is clear, it is fresh, but when tubes wear it will turn grey down there.

Do you make this stuff up?

Getter

I sit corrected. I always thought the getter was that ring thingy deal that heats it up, and I thought the inside flashing was meant to disappate, but it seems I had it all backwards.

I feel smarter now. I AM smarter now.

Archived