Gibson Brands Forums

New G 400 WC

Retrobass67

This is my first topic on the Gibson forum, my name is Hans, from the Netherlands.

Playing for more than 30 years now, mostly bassguitar, owning just one acoustic guitar (and a lot of basses)

I bumped into my old AC/DC vinyl records on the attic, with mostly Angus and his beloved SG`s on the covers.

Never had an SG before, so Youtubing for weeks on SG`s, AC/DC, and many instruction video`s on how to play Angus his stuff.

Actually it was a youngster called Bubba on youtube that made me look at the Epiphone worn G400, and finally bought one because the price was right, and it looked very nice and authentic like the original SG.

For some days now I am playing Angus, through my lowdown bass amp.... (I know, just saving now for a decent practice amp..)

I noticed straight away that there was no binding on the neck, pitty.... however there IS a binding on the neck, it`s just made out of a thin strip of rosewood.

First I thought it was in my imagination, but after looking very carefully, you see a different grain and color, 2 mm dead straight and on both sides of the neck...

Anyone noticed this before? why is this?

I noticed straight away that there was no binding on the neck, pitty.... however there IS a binding on the neck, it`s just made out of a thin strip of rosewood.

First I thought it was in my imagination, but after looking very carefully, you see a different grain and color, 2 mm dead straight and on both sides of the neck...

Anyone noticed this before? why is this?

Yes, I noticed this on my '06 G400 after I brought it home.

There is definitely binding on the neck, but as you said it is rosewood. Why they do this, I don't know. But it doesn't bother me at all. Unlike many, I'm not partial to neck binding anyway. Doesn't matter to me if a guitar has it or not. Some of my guitars have it, some don't.

So because it's not cream colored, or some other color other than rosewood, it doesn't matter to me.

It's weird, some of the Vintage G400s have cream binding, others have the Rosewood you describe. I was looking at a used Vintage G400 at a local Guitar Center which had cream binding, and then they had a new one that didn't.[confused]

The binding doesn't look strange at all. I feel the guitars with the binding are much better quality than the recent Faded model that they are selling today. At least the ones I've looked at anyways and I looked at a lot of them trying to find one for a buddy of mine who loved my SG. He tried a few of them out and ended up waiting until we finally came across a Vintage similar to mine and he snapped it up instantly. My Vintage G-400 has no veneer, a one piece neck, aged inlays and binding. I wouldn't trade her for anything.

dscf1362x.jpg

dscf1377c.jpg

Well, it`s not that I miss the binding, it just looked strange to me why they would do this... Maybe the SG neck is the same as the Les Paul, and because the cnc machines are programmed this way?? The reason I chose the cherry finish is because the red color hides the veneer on the body a bit. My SG is made of three pieces of mahogany, and the veneer makes it look better. I saw a Gibson Les Paul classic in Faded Brown made of four pieces!! of mahogany, and it looked ugly because the pieces didn`t match at all.... Thank heaven foor a nice piece of veneer :-)

Oh yeah...the early Vintage G-400s with the binding....no veneer. Just beautiful wood grain. As for the neck, I have a LP Standard and an Ultra II and the neck on the Vintage G-400 is my favourite of the gang. Definitely nothing close to the neck on a Les Paul and not from the same production line.

Archived