Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V weight

SteveFord

Are any of the Flying V models significantly heavier than my Faded V?

I think that I'd like the Vee better if they weighed another 7 pounds or so.

Thanks,

Steve Ford

Tell us more about what's "bothering" you (I think I'm seeing) between the lines.... Tone? Sustain? Physical balance?

Depending on the tree's growth experience, it may even be lightweight mahogany, hence my question.

I guess it's what I'm used to - what I play most often is either an ES-335 or a Les Paul.

It just feels too light weight by comparison. It even feels lighter than my SGs.

Has anyone weighed the various Flying V models?

I don't think you'll find much variation, they are all mahogany or korina (which are similar weight) and all the same thickness. They look big because of the fins, but there isn't that much wood involved; the routing under the scratchplate is significant. I was surprised (and pleased) at how light they are. I don't think you'll find a lot of people who'd want to double the weight.

I guess it's what I'm used to - what I play most often is either an ES-335 or a Les Paul.

It just feels too light weight by comparison. It even feels lighter than my SGs.

Has anyone weighed the various Flying V models?

Last friday I actually held a bunch of them as my buddy is just getting into playing and he seems set on a V right now, so we went on down to L&M and I was showing him the different brands and styles and I must say the only one that felt different was the Epiphone V it seemed a bit heavier but it also wasnt modeled after the 67 like Gibson's is not sure if that has something to do with it. But I held the following while I was there and they all seemed to be about the same weight.

Archived