Gibson Brands Forums

new wiring harness in joe pass.

mud guy

Well I spent three hours today installing the new wiring harness in my joe pass. The existing pots, switch and jack were real crap...the pots all crackled severely and the bridge pickup would not engage. I ordered a harness from mojotone thanks to some kind people here.

I say it took three hours...this was my first hollow body rewire and it was a bit of a challenge, mainly the issue of getting everything in place. I think I could do one in about an hour now.

First, many people here and elsewhere online suggest tying a string to the old pot shafts and use that to feed the new pots back in place. This does not work if you have to enlarge the holes which is often the case.

So after I removed the old electronics and got everything soldered up, I fed string through the holes and fished them out with a long bent paper clip, basically ending up as described above....I thought I was set, but no...it is nearly I possible to feed this mess of wires and strings back into the guitar without things getting tangled.

So my suggestion is to simply tie a string to the new shafts and once you get things in place more or less below the correct hole, it is quite easy to fish the strings out with the paperclip. This is how mojotone suggest you do it and they are right!

Haven't had much chance yet to really try out the new wiring other than making sure it all works.

-cal

Been there....done that....it was also my first modding job.........you are going to be a very happy man.

Hope the widening of the holes went smooth and just be thankful it was a full hollow and and not a Sheraton you were modding like this they are a lot tougher I can assure you.

But now if all is in order you have a class guitar.

The Samick Joe Pass guitars are wonderful guitars and with that new harness it will be solid and sound beautiful.

Congratulations

Archived