Gibson Brands Forums

X-1000

Frustrated

Does anyone know anything more about these? Mine is a neck thru with a Steinberger trem (double locking). Anyway, I am having a serious tuning issue. Not ever using a Steinberger is a serious task when trying to tune/restring this thing. I can't get the trem to "lock". Any advise (or should I just not worry about the headache and sell this crazy thing)? I'm thinking of just replacing it. Is there an aftermarket trem that would fit, or will I be better served filling in the trem pocket and adding my own?

Does anyone know anything more about these? Mine is a neck thru with a Steinberger trem (double locking). Anyway, I am having a serious tuning issue. Not ever using a Steinberger is a serious task when trying to tune/restring this thing. I can't get the trem to "lock". Any advise (or should I just not worry about the headache and sell this crazy thing)? I'm thinking of just replacing it. Is there an aftermarket trem that would fit, or will I be better served filling in the trem pocket and adding my own?

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

These aren't a very popular model, not many people have one, waiting until someone with knowledge of them posts a response would be a good idea, thanks for you patience.

It is unfortunate that you are having problems with your trem, but you have to understand that with something like this it may take a few days to get a response. There are very few people versed in Steinberger tremolos around here. Epiphone used them in the 80's, but they werent very popular. You may have better luck asking this question on a Steinberger forum. If you were to ask any other question about the X-1000 aside from the tremolo, I would probably have an answer for you.

The Steinberger KB trem is renowned for being problematic. They are an excellent design but were built from cheap metals which unfortunately means that the trem posts that are attached to the base will often get bent out of shape causing all kinds of problems.

There is a good fix for this shown in the following link, just open up the pdf within the link. KB tem fix.

alternatively, something like THIS could be retrofitted without too much hassle or routing.

Archived