Gibson Brands Forums

Mics on a Budget - HELP

guitarmanjt

I am trying to find a microphone that works well at recording electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and classical guitar as well as micing acoustic and classical guitar for live applications. I plan on buying an interface when I finally decide on a microphone. I have tried a couple different dynamic mics, including an SM57, and the problem I keep having is that it records acoustic guitar too quiet, even with the mic so close that I keep hitting it! I have been plugging the mics directly into the mic input of the computer.

So, if anybody can recommend to me a microphone that suits my needs and is not too expensive, let me know! Or, if I need two different mics for my needs, and they're not expensive, just let me know.

I am an amateur recorder in my home.

Thank you very much

I am trying to find a microphone that works well at recording electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and classical guitar as well as micing acoustic and classical guitar for live applications. I plan on buying an interface when I finally decide on a microphone. I have tried a couple different dynamic mics, including an SM57, and the problem I keep having is that it records acoustic guitar too quiet, even with the mic so close that I keep hitting it! I have been plugging the mics directly into the mic input of the computer.

So, if anybody can recommend to me a microphone that suits my needs and is not too expensive, let me know! Or, if I need two different mics for my needs, and they're not expensive, just let me know.

Thank you very much

Thank you very much

For the best results in mic'ing an acoustic is probably going to be a Cardioid Condenser, but to mic up a guitar amp you are going to want just a Dynamic mic for close mic'ing techniques and a Condenser for a far mic'ing technique. A personal favorite of mine is Audio-Technica mic's the AT4041 would be great for mic'ing your acoustic and the AT4040 could do almost everything else except close mic'ing.

For the best results in mic'ing an acoustic is probably going to be a Cardioid Condenser, but to mic up a guitar amp you are going to want just a Dynamic mic for close mic'ing techniques and a Condenser for a far mic'ing technique. A personal favorite of mine is Audio-Technica mic's the AT4041 would be great for mic'ing your acoustic and the AT4040 could do almost everything else except close mic'ing.

I already answered all of his questions in detail, including brands and models......ADHD, or he can't find his last thread....

Thank you very much

Try the RODE M3 IMO its the best all round mic for the price.

The SM57 is great but it is a dynamic mic, you will not generate enough waves to move the diaphragm with an acoustic guitar.

I have this set of condenser mics that cost me $99, the large one is more for voice/acoustic applications and the small can tolerate higher SPLs this one will work mic'ing the amps.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MAS-440441PK-LIST

of course these need phantom power so make sure the interface you select has the capability.

P.S. it is hard to get a good recorded acoustic tone but if you experiment enough you might.

Archived