Gibson Brands Forums

Toaster Pickups

ClassicRocker23

I got to thinkin today and I wonder... Is it possible to put RIC pups in like, a les paul? They look about the size of p90's or mini-hb's... Just a thought [flapper]

Any pickup can go into any guitar, you just have to route out more of the body if its too big or fill the pickup cavity up if its too small. There is a thread on the first couple pages titles "I Found It, I Want It" or something like that which has a "tricked" out les paul with like 4 different pups and stuff.

I got to thinkin today and I wonder... Is it possible to put RIC pups in like, a les paul? They look about the size of p90's or mini-hb's... Just a thought [flapper]

Hmm... I wonder how it'd sound? Seems like a interesting combo..

Any pickup can go into any guitar, you just have to route out more of the body if its too big or fill the pickup cavity up if its too small. There is a thread on the first couple pages titles "I Found It, I Want It" or something like that which has a "tricked" out les paul with like 4 different pups and stuff.

Thats really cool man but like, how would I go about putting one in a LP, seeing as how the pickups are different sizes and the LP pup routes look too big?

Thats really cool man but like, how would I go about putting one in a LP, seeing as how the pickups are different sizes and the LP pup routes look too big?

" Toaster Pickups " Pop Tart pickups fit in Gibbys.......

Strudel pickups fit into Fenders.............

Just sayin'...............................................................................[flapper] [flapper] [flapper] ...

Hey, can you spare alnico ???? [scared] :unsure: [crying][lol] .......I need a pick me up.......eusa_clap.gif .....

IMO Rics and Gretsch's have their own take on both HB and SC pickups

And offer different character to Gibson and Fender etc

Choice of wood has a bearing too

Perhaps more fun to be had owning a Ric or Gretsch.....

V

:-({|=

interesting idea.

I have a Gretsch Electromatic Series, it has a Gibby sized humbucker as a stock pup.

I think some day I might try to get one of the D'Armond (toaster)style pickup's that traditionally go into the more high end Gretsch models and see how it sounds.

If I do this, some day I could try putting the standard size (Gibby size) Gretsch 'bucker into my SG or in my Les Paul. Maybe the LP first, since I can do it without soldering and it's easily reversable. If I really like how it sounds,I can consider putting one in my SG. Considering the LP would only require finding the proper connectors to hook up the wiring I could even try the D'Armond style ones too.

If the pickup is smaller than the humbucker route on the Gibson, it will just require finding a way to fill in the extra space. I like this idea better than having to route a bigger hole, at least you can reverse the filler if you use something non-permanent.

Archived