Gibson Brands Forums

installing pickup covers on a es 333?

glider

hey i just got a es 333 that i absolutely love.... couple of things i want to do though..

1) I want to install nickel pickup covers over the pups... is this a complicated job and will in change any of the sound quality coming out of this bad boy in anyway?

2) Put top hat knobs on it.. easy enough..right?..

3) Debating the addition of a pick guard....kinda freaking about putting a drill to the body..down the road will this effect the value of the guitar because its not an original design of the es 333?

thanks for the input.. btw these guitars are so nice...

Placing pickup covers wouldn't be too hard to do yourselves, but taking off the original knobs can be quite tricky (you might need a special tool to do this if they don't come off easily). Only luthiers have this special kind of tool usually.

The addition of a pickguard would be also advisable to have this done by an experienced luthier. The value of the guitar will stay highest when leaving the guitar as much as possible in its original condition.

Kind regards,

Stijn

regarding pup covers are there any issues with increased feedback or hum when one installs covers on a setup that was previously uncovered?

Placing pickup covers wouldn't be too hard to do yourselves, but taking off the original knobs can be quite tricky (you might need a special tool to do this if they don't come off easily). Only luthiers have this special kind of tool usually.

The addition of a pickguard would be also advisable to have this done by an experienced luthier. The value of the guitar will stay highest when leaving the guitar as much as possible in its original condition.

Kind regards,

Stijn

regarding pup covers are there any issues with increased feedback or hum when one installs covers on a setup that was previously uncovered?

Yes there can be issues and the covers will possibly change the tone as the cover can sort of insulate the pickup from the strings. You may want to think about buying a set of pickups with covers and try those instead of putting covers on the ones you have. Sell the set that you don't like. It might be worth having a luthier replace the pickups and put on the pickguard all at one time. Find a good luthier and not just the kid working in the local store. The pickguard should not lessen the value of the guitar if done correctly.

On my '02 SG Faded, I simply took the six adjusting screws out, slipped each cover on, and reinserted the screws. No solder, no rattles, and a very snug fit on this particular guitar. No significant change in tone, and a completely reversible modification. Cost under $25 for the two chrome Gibson covers, and overall I love the new look in conjunction with the ebony board & moon inlays. For super low bucks, you could try this with no risk factor.

Archived