Gibson Brands Forums

Sell or not sell

awel

I am asking myself if I should sell my Boogie Dual Rectifier or not.

This head was awesome for metal, and for modern rock but, if I compare it to my Blues Deluxe or to my Class-5, I find it so cold. [sad]

I have always dreamed about that head when I was into metal but now that I have one, I found metal music so flat (it is not an agression against people who like metal, because I have listen and loved it since more than 20 years, it is just that now I am 100% into blues/rock music)

But I like the look and the quality so, it is a nightmare to choose if I sell or not. ](*,)

Does anyone has been able to produced a bluesy warm sound out of a Dual Rectifier?

I had both a Dual Recto AND a Blues Deluxe. Mine was the combo with 2 vintage 30's.

For me, the Recto could easily be made to sound way warmer and less dry. The ONLY thing the blues deluxe could do that the Recto couldn't was play quiter, as the lowest setting on the recto (any volume coming out) was too loud for playing in the house with roommates.

While I am one who believes a smaller cranked amp is better than a powerful one, I didn't find this to be the case between the 2.

No point in keeping gear you think you should like or learn to like. Sell it and buy an amp you will enjoy the sound of.

Just the opposite on this one.... Unless you need the cash or don't have something you like then keep the boogie. Things have a way of coming full circle and you end up kicking yourself for getting rid of something you used to like. Give it some time before making a decision... That lovin' feelin' may come back..... I speak from experience.....[crying]

I agree with Andy as well. Just sit on it for now and see what happen. Heck don't play the boogie for awhile your opinion will probably change when you plug back into for first time in a long time down the road.

Thanks for your position.

I think I will surely take time to play it but with try different settings, after all it is a Boogie so normally, I should be able to find a smoother and warmer tone instead of the agressive one I used to have when I was doing metal.

I think it is psychologic also, I mean no one never see a blues player on a Dual Rectifier, on the other hand before seeing Steve Fister in a show in Belgium, I have never seen someone who plays technical instrumental rock pieces on an old 335.

Perhaps I will experiment with the Boogie and post some videos or sound templates.

Awel:

I got your PM asking about the settings, but I thought I would answer here in case anyone might have anything to add or even offer another opinion on.

I preferred the orange channel for the distortion sounds and the red channel for the clean sounds. I would play the orange channel with the 'variac' switch on spongy, the rectifier switch to tube, and that little gain switch on high (it was so long ago...can't remember what it is called, but I think it might have said blues?). For the cleans, it was just the opposite: red channel with 'variac' to bold, ss rectifier, and the mini toggle to clean.

Mine had reverb, and like I said 2 Celestion vintage 30's. It had Chinese 6L6's.

When I BOUGHT the blues deluxe back then, the reason was actually to have something smaller that I could play INSTEAD of the Recto in the house that had a distortion channel and a master. (I also didn't need much of an excuse to buy an amp back then, GAS does that).

I also had a LOT to learn about amps too. While I COULD play the Blues Deluxe with the distortion at lower volumes, I eventual tired of it and realized it actually sounded better with the clean channel and a pedal. THEN I learned that the BD didn't sound nearly as good as my silver faced Deluxe Reverb, or any of the other ones silver faced ones I had.

I could go on and on about what amps are good and not so good, but really the point is, while the Recto never got used for a gig (WAY too big and loud) it is a sound I miss, even just playing alone because it had a real beauty to it. The Blues Deluxe, never really got used much and seemed to not do anything as well as any of the amps I had. I don't miss it a bit.

Awel:

I got your PM asking about the settings, but I thought I would answer here in case anyone might have anything to add or even offer another opinion on.

I preferred the orange channel for the distortion sounds and the red channel for the clean sounds. I would play the orange channel with the 'variac' switch on spongy, the rectifier switch to tube, and that little gain switch on high (it was so long ago...can't remember what it is called, but I think it might have said blues?). For the cleans, it was just the opposite: red channel with 'variac' to bold, ss rectifier, and the mini toggle to clean.

Mine had reverb, and like I said 2 Celestion vintage 30's. It had Chinese 6L6's.

When I BOUGHT the blues deluxe back then, the reason was actually to have something smaller that I could play INSTEAD of the Recto in the house that had a distortion channel and a master. (I also didn't need much of an excuse to buy an amp back then, GAS does that).

I also had a LOT to learn about amps too. While I COULD play the Blues Deluxe with the distortion at lower volumes, I eventual tired of it and realized it actually sounded better with the clean channel and a pedal. THEN I learned that the BD didn't sound nearly as good as my silver faced Deluxe Reverb, or any of the other ones silver faced ones I had.

I could go on and on about what amps are good and not so good, but really the point is, while the Recto never got used for a gig (WAY too big and loud) it is a sound I miss, even just playing alone because it had a real beauty to it. The Blues Deluxe, never really got used much and seemed to not do anything as well as any of the amps I had. I don't miss it a bit.

Thank you for your answer.

I will try your type of settings this week-end. [thumbup]

Archived