Gibson Brands Forums

Reissue es-175 compatible with licensed es- 295 Bigsby ?

poopcicle

Hello, I have the 175 completely stock but was wondering if the Bigsby set up off an Epiphone es 295 would be usable on my guitar if I ever wanted to modify it in the near future? Also looking for opinions on pro vs con of this modification! I love my 175 as but think the addition would add in the looks department as well as playing options. Thanks for any and all help/info!

It's basically the same guitar, so yes, a Bigsby B7 or B70 should work fine. I have an ES-175 and a B7 so will try to post some pics for your reveiw.

Damn, now you got me going!

excellent and thanks! I look forward to the pics!

• 4 years later...

It's basically the same guitar, so yes, a Bigsby B7 or B70 should work fine. I have an ES-175 and a B7 so will try to post some pics for your reveiw.

Damn, now you got me going!

Hello Brianh,

I know it's an old thread but are you sure I can put a B7 or B70 on an ES-175?

and does this hold true for a B700 also, because that's what i really want to do!

Thanks,

Did you ever post those pictures?

The Bigsby B7/B-70/B-700 will work fine on an ES-175; however, you can also use a B-6/B-60/B-600, which do not require drilling holes into the guitar's top. The B-7 series with the roller bar was designed for thinline archtops where the bridge is mounted directly into the guitar's top. The B-/B-60/B-600 are intended for fullsize archtops (Gibson, Guild, Gretsch, etc.) where the bridge is mounted on a wooden base that raises it higher off the top of the guitar.

I would recommend the B-6 series for an ES-175, because not only can you avoid drilling holes into the top, but the design allows the top to vibrate more freely, whereas the B-7 series will dampen the vibrations more and have a greater effect (most players would say undesirable) on the tone.

Archived