Gibson Brands Forums

ordering a texan or 160e online

tweed2

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good guitar shop for shipping either an IB Texan or an ej-160e? I live in the Seattle area and dispite this town being the 14th largest in the country, nobody has either in stock for me to try and buy. So I guess that I'm going to have one shipped to me on faith that I make the right choice between the two. I hesitate to order from the big guys as the attention to detail and set up can be lacking (ship the first box they run across). Anybody had a good experience with someone else that will ship? Thanks.

Of all the companies that ship gear I haven't heard a complaint about Sweetwater at all yet some others have had all kinds of complaints and even some horror stories about guitars that were obviously damaged before shipping being delivered.

I stopped by GC yesterday, just to see if anything new was in and they had a 160e in. I played it for a few minutes, but it had dead spots on the neck and what appeared to be a twist in the neck. No way would I buy that one. I'll keep looking. Thanks everyone for the Sweetwater suggestion. I've emailed them as they do not list the Texan in their inventory! I'm hoping that's an oversight.

I stopped by GC yesterday, just to see if anything new was in and they had a 160e in. I played it for a few minutes, but it had dead spots on the neck and what appeared to be a twist in the neck. No way would I buy that one. I'll keep looking. Thanks everyone for the Sweetwater suggestion. I've emailed them as they do not list the Texan in their inventory! I'm hoping that's an oversight.

Just too many models for them to stock.

They can probably get it for you .

Try David.

david_hess@sweetwater.com

Well; I had a deal pop up on another guitar to ytake the pressure of getting an acoustic off for a while. This way, I can take my time and hopefully get what I really want. I ended up with a Morgam Monroe Creekside MVS-45 (J-45 clone). Love the guitar actually. Pretty good deal off of ebay, with case and everything, $200. This is the old style slope-shoulder model that was discontinued several years ago, now only the square shoulder model is available. And that's fine, because I probably wouldn't have even noticed it without the slope shoulder. Kind of a unique tone to it. Definitely some J-45, but different than say the Epi J-45. Who knows, maybe i'll just end up keeping this one., Anyway, thanks everybody for the suggestions.

MM45.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good guitar shop for shipping either an IB Texan or an ej-160e? I live in the Seattle area and dispite this town being the 14th largest in the country, nobody has either in stock for me to try and buy. So I guess that I'm going to have one shipped to me on faith that I make the right choice between the two. I hesitate to order from the big guys as the attention to detail and set up can be lacking (ship the first box they run across). Anybody had a good experience with someone else that will ship? Thanks.

This suggestion may curdle your milk, but have you tried Best Buy? They carry the Texan where I live...It sounded much better than the one I bought online (not from Sweetwater) and returned a week later.

This suggestion may curdle your milk, but have you tried Best Buy? They carry the Texan where I live...It sounded much better than the one I bought online (not from Sweetwater) and returned a week later.

Hi -

The Best Buy's in my area stock the Texan. The downside here is that I would have to buy the guitar and then take it to a luthier for a proper set-up to really know what I just purchased. If I didn't like it, I'm sure Best Buy would allow a return. I would not be able to recoup the set-up cost, however.

Regards,

Archived