Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Artist

brannon67

I just picked up an Epi Hummingbird Artist on sale at GC the other day. I playesd it, and fell in love with the tone. I figured I would get it,and take it over to my girlfriends and leave it there to play, so I wont have to take my Gibson Hummingbird Pro over there all the time, and worry about her family, cats etc messing it up, even though it stays in the case, but Im paranoid about that stuff anyway, so. Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has the Epi Hummingbird Artist model, and if so, do you like it?

I just picked up an Epi Hummingbird Artist on sale at GC the other day. I playesd it, and fell in love with the tone. I figured I would get it,and take it over to my girlfriends and leave it there to play, so I wont have to take my Gibson Hummingbird Pro over there all the time, and worry about her family, cats etc messing it up, even though it stays in the case, but Im paranoid about that stuff anyway, so. Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has the Epi Hummingbird Artist model, and if so, do you like it?

I don't have one, but played one in-store one a couple of occasions. I have to admit, I was really blown away how good it sounded for such an affordable guitar. The J-200 Artist was also impressive.

I can't tell from your post--did you get the Epi HB Artist already? How does it compare with your Gibson HB Pro, tonally?

Red 333

To tell you the truth, I am really imnpressed with the Epi Hummingbird artist. I mean, its an Epi, but its got great tone and playability. I think its sounds as good as the Gibson, if you want my honest poinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I came really close to getting a Epi H-Bird artist, but when I went up to GC they had a pristine 2002 Gretsch G3713 Sierra Jumbo Deluxe that I ended up walking out with instead. Playability, hardware, and an edge in craftsmanship (MIK vs MII) ended up swaying me, but the Epi birds are very nice guitars for the money. I wish they had an acoustic/electric version of the Epi H-bird. I'd have to come up with a good excuse for a second acoustic if they did make one.

I've been eyeing the Epi Hummingbirds and Doves and wondering how they compare to the Gibsons in tone and playability,they certainly hit the nail on the head in every other department.I always wanted one or the other or both.I know that my Epi EJ-160-E John Lennon has all the vibe of the Gibson but I'm curious as to whether they captured the nuances of the Gibsons in the Hummingbird and Dove.

• 2 months later...

I've been eyeing the Epi Hummingbirds and Doves and wondering how they compare to the Gibsons in tone and playability,they certainly hit the nail on the head in every other department.I always wanted one or the other or both.I know that my Epi EJ-160-E John Lennon has all the vibe of the Gibson but I'm curious as to whether they captured the nuances of the Gibsons in the Hummingbird and Dove.

[/quote

I had an epiphone dove but sold it to get a Gibson dove. Although the epiphone was a good guitar, the Gibson blows it away. the epiphone Dove was very easy to play and sounded good for the price you pay for it but (just my opinion) does not compare to the gibson dove in sound and playability. The gibson dove sounded good before i got a setup done but after I could not believe it was the same guitar. It just came alive after the setup. I also have a epiphone hummingbird and just got a setup and replaced the plastic nut and saddle with bone. It sounds amazing now. it sounded good before but it just sounds incredible. Would I take a gibson hummingbird over my epiphone.....in an instant but for now she will do. Both the epiphone dove and hummingbird are good but my suggestion to anyone is to get a setup done and replace the plastic nut and saddle and you will have a really good looking and sounding guitar.

Have you had any issues with the action on the epi bird? I played one at guitar center and asked if they could lower the action.... Their answer was "to get a pro set up for this guitar, you should just save money and buy a better guitar.

Needless to say I was put off by this. I really liked the the artist edition compared to the regular bird.

Have you had any issues with the action on the epi bird? I played one at guitar center and asked if they could lower the action.... Their answer was "to get a pro set up for this guitar, you should just save money and buy a better guitar.

Needless to say I was put off by this. I really liked the the artist edition compared to the regular bird.

No, I haven't had any issues at all. the action was low when I got it and still is. I paid between $30 & 40 for a setup and maybe between $40-60 for the nut and saddle replacement. It was a good investement in my opinion. But no, I havent had any issues with the action. Play a few before you settle on one. I played a few epi birds before I got the one I did, and they all sounded different. Some just sounded like pieces of **** while others sounded quite good. Its never going to sound like a Gibson bird but for the value she is a good guitar. If mine was stolen I would get another one.

Archived