Gibson Brands Forums

In praise of the EJ-160-E John Lennon

bonzoboy

About the only downside to having 30 stringed instruments is that you don't get to play them all as often as you should or would like to.Today I took out my EJ-160-E for the first time in about 3 months and have decided that I'll keep it out for at least a few weeks.I started playing I'll Be Back and I Feel Fine by the Beatles and got the same old goosebumps that I got the first time that I played her.If you want to nail the old Beatle acoustic tone that's as far as you need to go as the EJ-160-E nails the tone of the original both acoustically and electrically.I had forgotten what a fabulous guitar it truly is-so it will be a long while before she sees the case again.

I have a cheap copy which sounds excellent

So arguably I am having even more fun <_<

V

:-({|=

Versatile, is yours the Vintage copy? Was going to get one of those then spotted a second hand EJ160e locally and the fella knocked £100 off the price...I love it - only play it acoustically really - lovely woody and natural sound - love the big neck as well and shallow I know but it looks so good as well! I have Phosphor Bronze strings on mine (11s) at the minute - sounds nice!

Versatile, is yours the Vintage copy? Was going to get one of those then spotted a second hand EJ160e locally and the fella knocked £100 off the price...I love it - only play it acoustically really - lovely woody and natural sound - love the big neck as well and shallow I know but it looks so good as well! I have Phosphor Bronze strings on mine (11s) at the minute - sounds nice!

Hi Dodge...yes mine is the Vintage

It sounds great acoustically and feels well built and usable

I restrung with electric nickel 10's to suit fingerstyle

Currently capo 7th fret for Norwegian Wood and Here Comes the Sun

And capo 5th fret for REM's Losing my Religion

I've always preferred magnetic P/U's over piezos on acoustics

I also have an active P/U florentine Ibanez acoustic....good quality but tends to OD and get a bit muddy....

V

Mine is the EJ-160-E John Lennon,I paid $499.00 Cdn for it so I think I did alright considering the prices of the Gibsons.I use D'Addario Nickle Wound 10-46 with the .018W 3rd and find that really sound full and bright both electricaly and acoustically,their proper number is EXL 110 Light W 3rd.

Mine is the EJ-160-E John Lennon,I paid $499.00 Cdn for it so I think I did alright considering the prices of the Gibsons.I use D'Addario Nickle Wound 10-46 with the .018W 3rd and find that really sound full and bright both electricaly and acoustically,their proper number is EXL 110 Light W 3rd.

I'll have to try those - have been looking for strings that sound great both ways (acoustic & electric) [thumbup]

About the only downside to having 30 stringed instruments is that you don't get to play them all as often as you should or would like to.Today I took out my EJ-160-E for the first time in about 3 months and have decided that I'll keep it out for at least a few weeks.I started playing I'll Be Back and I Feel Fine by the Beatles and got the same old goosebumps that I got the first time that I played her.If you want to nail the old Beatle acoustic tone that's as far as you need to go as the EJ-160-E nails the tone of the original both acoustically and electrically.I had forgotten what a fabulous guitar it truly is-so it will be a long while before she sees the case again.

I get the same "gooseflesh" when I take out my EJ-160-E and play some of the early Beatle songs, which is the only time I use it. For the price, it does a fine job in terms of replicating that unique Beatle-sound when using steel flatwound strings. I agree with bonzoboy - it is a fabulous guitar.

Regards,

What brand and gauge flatwounds do you use?I used to use flatwounds many years ago but back then they only came in bigger gauges and were hard to bend and where I've developed a neuro-muscular condition in my hands I am now confined to using nothing heavier than 10-46 on my acoustics.

What brand and gauge flatwounds do you use?I used to use flatwounds many years ago but back then they only came in bigger gauges and were hard to bend and where I've developed a neuro-muscular condition in my hands I am now confined to using nothing heavier than 10-46 on my acoustics.

Hi -

I tried "chromes" but thought they were just too mellow from the start. I did some research and decided to spend the extra $$ for Pyramid Gold Pure Nickel Flat Wound 6 String, .011 - .048 gauge (a correction: I use nickel strings, not "steel"). Pyramid also offers them in .010 - .0465 gauge, closer to what you are using. Yes, they are expensive relative to most other strings, so I can be criticized, but I can also rationalize the extra expense, too. I don't play the guitar that often, when I do I know exactly what to expect. IMO, the flatwounds are so much easier to play - my rifts of "I Feel Fine" are remarkably better using the EJ-160 with the flatwounds than when played on my other guitars.

I'm not sure if flatwounds were on the Beatles Gibson 160's when they purchased them in London, or did they change them later. I've read that George used flatwounds on his Gretstch guitars - if that's accurate, maybe he had his 160 re-strung, and the rest is history .............

Regards,

I also have an active P/U florentine Ibanez acoustic....good quality but tends to OD and get a bit muddy....

Now, if Epiphone would only put the electronics from the EJ-160e on their PR5-E, they'd have a replica of the Gibson CF-100e. That would be, basically, an EJ-160e with a Florentine cutaway. It should have a very similar sound, combined with access to the higher frets.

Hi Abbeyroadman-I'll shop around and check out the Pyramid flatwounds and give them a try.I know they cost a bit more from using them years ago but they hold their brightness longer too.Thanks for the info.

Hi Dodge...yes mine is the Vintage

It sounds great acoustically and feels well built and usable

I restrung with electric nickel 10's to suit fingerstyle

Currently capo 7th fret for Norwegian Wood and Here Comes the Sun

I'm just about to buy a Vintage that has been converted into a "peace" model. I can't wait to try it against my EJ-160e. Both have got acoustic pickups and the p-100.

Norwegian Wood is played with a capo on 2nd fret in D

Now, if Epiphone would only put the electronics from the EJ-160e on their PR5-E, they'd have a replica of the Gibson CF-100e. That would be, basically, an EJ-160e with a Florentine cutaway. It should have a very similar sound, combined with access to the higher frets.

That is a good idea !!

The CF-100e is a great looking guitar...well worth a re-issue IMO

V

Mines is new out of the box, and just got it a few weeks ago.

The strings feel heavy on this. It was shipped from the factory and never played, so cant imagine they need changed. Im wondering if its the action, as this does need to come down a bit. How do i go about doing this?

Also, im getting a good bit buzzing from the pickup when plugged in. Is this normal as its a single coil?

Mines is new out of the box, and just got it a few weeks ago.

The strings feel heavy on this. It was shipped from the factory and never played, so cant imagine they need changed. Im wondering if its the action, as this does need to come down a bit. How do i go about doing this?

Also, im getting a good bit buzzing from the pickup when plugged in. Is this normal as its a single coil?

Hi -

Sounds like yours was a mail-order purchase. If so, find a person in our area called a "luthier", take your guitar to her/him and ask for a "set-up". Expect to pay a very nominal fee since yours is brand new. If the luthier finds that you have an electrical problem, then you will most likely need to work with your seller and/or Epiphone/Gibson Customer Service to resolve that issue.

Regards,

I bought my brother a EJ160E for his birthday a couple of years ago (aren't I an awesome brother?). I love the electric sounds you can get with it. Has anyone had to replace the stock tuners on theirs yet? Two of the tuners on my brother's feel stripped and don't hold the string in tune very well. Does anyone know if the Gibson or GFS replacement ones fit without modification?

No problem with my tuners so far.Have you taken apart and looked inside the affected tuners to see if they may just need to be tightened up a bit?Sorry I can't help you about which tuners will fit or not.

No problem with my tuners so far.Have you taken apart and looked inside the affected tuners to see if they may just need to be tightened up a bit?Sorry I can't help you about which tuners will fit or not.

No I haven't taken them apart yet, I replaced the strings on it and when I went to tighten the low e and later the g string the tuner shafts felt loose and it felt like the gears were stripped inside. Next time I see my brother, I'll take my tools and take a look inside them.

Archived