Gibson Brands Forums

Classical Gas...on a 1956 NY Epiphone FT79 (pre-Texan)

QuestionMark

Hey all-

Here's an audio/video recording I just put on YouTube of me playing "Classical Gas" on my 1956 NY Epiphone FT79 (pre-Texan. When Gibson bought Epiphone they expanded the FT79 to be the FT79 Texan...and the rest is history). The '56 FT79 appears in the video when I'm wearing the larger plaid shirt. When I'm wearing the smaller plaid shirt, the video shows me playing my 1994 Gibson 100 Year Anniversary Gospel...I ran short of photos of me and the FT79.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8X7TFZ4K2Y

Hope y'all enjoy!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Hey all-

Here's an audio/video recording I just put on YouTube of me playing "Classical Gas" on my 1956 NY Epiphone FT79 (pre-Texan. When Gibson bought Epiphone they expanded the FT79 to be the FT79 Texan...and the rest is history). The '56 FT79 appears in the video when I'm wearing the larger plaid shirt. When I'm wearing the smaller plaid shirt, the video shows me playing my 1994 Gibson 100 Year Anniversary Gospel...I ran short of photos of me and the FT79.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8X7TFZ4K2Y

Hope y'all enjoy!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I loved the way you interpreted this! It was a much more Richard Thompson type approach than a quasi Spanish guitar type interpretation and it was just great! [thumbup] Thanks for sharing!

Matt

Nice job, Jeff. I enjoyed it with my coffee this morning.

The FT-79 and your playing really suit the arrangement--you give it a Baroque meets Jazz feel, like it was played on a harpsichord by Eubie Blake or someone.

Is that an arrangement you wrote yourself, or did you learn it from sheet music/TAB?

Thanks for posting!

Red 333

Nice job, Jeff. I enjoyed it with my coffee this morning.

The FT-79 and your playing really suit the arrangement--you give it a Baroque meets Jazz feel, like it was played on a harpsichord by Eubie Blake or someone.

Is that an arrangement you wrote yourself, or did you learn it from sheet music/TAB?

Thanks for posting!

Red 333

Thanks for the complimentary critique. I definitely went for a Baroque meets jazz feel (with a bit of rockin' rhythm in there, too.) The arrangement is mine. Worked on developing it for about two months...fun stuff. First I did the song simply by intuition and worked through it, then I listened to Mason Williams' original version about 50 times and tried to pick up nuances of what is melody and what is accompiament, what accompiament constitutes the melody, etc. Then, I got to work on how can I capture the horn part bridge in the song on the guitar, how can I jazz up the refrain to make it different, but the same, how can I somehow incorporate the drums in the original with only guitar, as well as capture the orchestra parts that frame the guitar melody in the original. Then, I listened to Eric Clapton's classical version of the song (he eliminates the horn bridge section)and keeps the rhythm at a minimum, and, of course, listened to Tommy Emmanual's wild ride version of the song (and thought I want to capture a bit of that feeling, but not imitate what he did either (who could?) From there, I explored tab on the internet thinking I should probably learn how the song really should be played. After learning that, I added my own sections from my earlier musings and then went through about five re-writes of that to put it on paper so I could always generally play the same arrangement I came up with. From there I practiced the arrangement I came up with for about two weeks. Played it at a couple gigs to see how it played in public (things can often sound different in solitude than in front of people). From there the arrangement was good to go...right now I'm just trying to memorize it. Having it on YouTube helps with that as I can now imitate how the arrangement sounds in the YouTube. Guess now its a staple in my repetoire.

Chose the FT79 because as you indicate, it seems to suit it.

An interesting guitar journey as they all are.

Again thanks for listening and the great critique.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived