Gibson Brands Forums

Help me date and or value vintage es150 gibson please

drjoeshmoe

I just picked up this guitar today, just got it home, didn't even dust it off yet...not even for the attached photos.

I think I have a gibson es150...the body is 17" wide which I believe makes the date sometime between 1946-56.

There is an ink stamped serial inside the lower f-hole which reads 2797-6.

The guitar needs some work, 4 of the tunning buttons are broken off...all the tuning machines are functioning though.

The nut is missing. I have the original pickguard which is not attached, I also have the top half of the bridge (i believe there should be a bottom piece)...I let the bag of parts in my work truck so I couldn't photo them.

The body and neck look great to me other than some slight damage to the upper side of the body as shown.

Is it possible for someone to date this guitar with the given serial of 2797-6?

Any idea of what the value would be in this condition?....I had thought about putting newer parts on her to get it working again...I havn't had much time to think about it as I just got home...

Just looking for a little help with finding out what I have.

Thanks for any help.

here is a photo album of the guitar.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/drjoeshmoe/gibson%20es150/

Dont know how serious that crack is.

I think 150s had crown inlay after 1950ish so yours would probably be before that.

I always check pot codes to get an idea of age but i have never had to do that on a pre 1950 guitar before. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Guitar. My guess cleaned up the value would be in the 1500 to 1700 range... as is ..850.00 to a 1000.00

the date of this would be 1946 to 1949.. No trapazoid inlays..

• 4 weeks later...

That's an ES-125, not an ES-150. Single P-90 in neck position, dot inlays, missing pickguard.

I will bet you a beer it isnt a 125 :D

pre 48 is dot inlay

Never made a 17 in. 125 that I have seen.

Both had single p90s

BTW I got an update from amazon. They will be shipping your book to me end of Aug :D

I will bet you a beer it isnt a 125 :D

pre 48 is dot inlay

Never made a 17 in. 125 that I have seen.

Both had single p90s

BTW I got an update from amazon. They will be shipping your book to me end of Aug :D

Owe you a beer - I forgot it was a 17" wide body. You are absolutely correct.

Can't believe books are not shipping until end of Aug. Supposed to be in stock now.

Owe you a beer - I forgot it was a 17" wide body. You are absolutely correct.

Can't believe books are not shipping until end of Aug. Supposed to be in stock now.

Or.... when I get the book I will ship it off to you will a SAS Env. and you can sign it :D ...

Archived