Gibson Brands Forums

What is it?

G McBride

A co-worker has this guitar that belonged to his Father and I told him I would try to find out what it is. His father stripped the finish and Jim says that it used to be a real dark color the best he can remember.

photo5.jpg

My vote says ES-125 too,I know a guy who has one that belonged to his grandfather,it was more of a tobacco burst which I figure this one was before it was refinished.BTW if you ever encounter a guitar like this and the finish is original,no matter how bad a shape the finish is in Never Never Never alter it in any way to do so makes the value plummet faster than a skydiving Sumo wrestler.

Guys Thanks for all the help. When I tuned it up and plugged it into my Blues Jr this afternoon to see if he electrics worked, I started picking some blues licks and JIm told me that his dad was probably rolling in his grave with me playing something other than country on his guitar.

If you look there are the heads of two carriage bolts on each side of the tailpiece. JIm's dad was playing outside one day and when he plugged into his amp it shocked him and the threw the guitar down and cracked it on the bottom. HIs only way to repair it was to run two carriage bolts all the way through the body to clamp the crack back together again. Great story and I am sure it is true. Jim said his mother told him that his dad traded an old Les Paul he had to get this guitar.

I am thinking that this should probably just stay as his father left it and he will always have a good old guitar that once was great and a very good story to tell his grandchildren.

What do you guys think, should he try to restore it or leave it alone.

Archived