Gibson Brands Forums

Real or Fake?

Larry Lion

Folks

There is a Les Paul on Kijiji that is supposedly a pristine 1981 classic. I was wondering if any could tell from these pictures and advise me whether it is a fake or not? The pictures are in my dropbox, here are the links below. I've asked the seller for a COA or proof of purchase, and that's what got me suspicious.

Image1

Image2

Image3

Image4

Image5

Image6

Image7

Image8

Image9

The ad is on the Toronoto Kijiji listings.

Many thanks

Looks real to me. The case is the same as the one that came with my '81 LP Custom (which a friend now has).

I'm assuming you realize that it's a "second" and know what that means, correct? Most likely it was a cosmetic defect but nonetheless, it's a "second".

The seller is so overpriced on this it isn't even funny. $3390? You've got to be kidding!

There is an '82 LP Deluxe gold top on Ebay right now. The "buy now" price is $2G and it looks to be in good shape.

Gbase.com has two '81 LP Deluxes listed. $2250 and $2750.

I did a Google search for 1981 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top and using the Google cache, found an ad on Kijiji Moncton for the same guitar yet not a "second". The asking price was $2150.

The seller is about about $1500 too high IMO.

Let him take it to the 12th Fret (on Danforth Ave) and have them try and sell it for that price. Good luck!

Archived