Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Custom 30

I paid around $300 for mine brand new (on a closeout sale). However, they're discontinued and therefore hard to find, so if it really is in good condition, $400 might be fair. If you've already done enough homework to know that that's the amp you want, and it checks out favorably, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, there are several other good amp models that could be had in that price range, so it would be worth your time to play as many as you can to see which has the best combination of tone, features, and controls for your playing style. Do you need a headphone jack? A footswitch? Is weight important? Do you need the ability to run an extension cabinet? Will you be playing mostly clean, mostly overdriven, or a mixture? If you use pedals, how does the amp sound with them?

I paid around $300 for mine brand new (on a closeout sale). However, they're discontinued and therefore hard to find, so if it really is in good condition, $400 might be fair. If you've already done enough homework to know that that's the amp you want, and it checks out favorably, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, there are several other good amp models that could be had in that price range, so it would be worth your time to play as many as you can to see which has the best combination of tone, features, and controls for your playing style. Do you need a headphone jack? A footswitch? Is weight important? Do you need the ability to run an extension cabinet? Will you be playing mostly clean, mostly overdriven, or a mixture? If you use pedals, how does the amp sound with them?

Thanks Parabar, I was really just toying with the idea since they come up rarely. Anyway to answer the questions: a) It might be worth my time, but difficult to acheive at the local GC; B - No, don't need a headphone jack; c) Footswitches are a good thing; d) weight is unimportant as I don't gig anymore; e) extension cabinets are fun to experiment with; f) mixture; g) I use a few pedals - Boss Blues Driver, Area 51 wahwah, Ibanez Tubescreamer, etc.

The local guy got so deseperate (needed car parts) that he dropped the BC30 price to $270, then $240.

I was going to go get it, but the thought of explaining to my wife why I needed another amp when I already have 6 or 7 proved too much.

Dammitall.

Archived