Gibson Brands Forums

About to pull trigger on a 2007 Flying V...in Alpine White?

samiam

Hi All,

I new to Gibson guitars but there is a '07 Flying V in my local guitar shop for $995 that I'm eyeing. It's in excellent condition other than a few dings on the headstock, and a hairline crack in the paint where the neck joint is. It's listed as completely stock with the original hardshell case as well as being 'alpine white'. I'm not aware of any colors beyond classic white, ebony, and cherry (besides the faded cherry model). Honestly it looks like a classic white to me but does anyone have any other insight on this or if the crack in the neckjoint is anything other than cosmetic?

Thanks in advance!

Ya, I was curious about the price too..seemed high since you can get a new one for $200-$300 more but the I started watching some ebay auctions within the last month. The non-faded V's were going for right around that price when you include shipping. In your opinion, what would a fair price be? I'm not crazy about ordering online since you don't get to try it out until you buy it.

Is it a brand new guitar or is it a return or something? Cause if its new being made in 2007 does not mean it should depreciate in value unless it was a previously owned instrument. They are about $1100 new so if this has been previously enjoyed then the price is certainly too much, if its not and they have discounted it due to the blemishes then its somewhat fair I would probably try and convince them to go a bit lower. The mentioned $650-700 would be about the range if it was previously enjoyed. Dont worry about the crack at the neck joint this sounds like the typical nitro crack, because its a set neck guitar it will move VERY VERY little but it will each time you pick it up and stuff the nitro where the seam on the joint will crack. My explorer was made in Oct 2010 and is my main use guitar and it already has this crack too, at first I was scared but it turned out to be what I explained, now it doesnt even bother me. If you do decide to go through with the purchase I can guarantee you will love that guitar my buddy got a V a month ago and its a sweet guitar I like it as much as my explorer, the upper fret access is stupidly easy.

OK, well I ended up getting the V today even though I still probably ended up paying too much ($800 + SG copy trade-in). See what having a couple bucks and no patience gets you?? [blush] But after bringing it home and playing it all night, I feel good about it. The thing is definitely a blast to play (first song on it was 'blackout' btw, ha!). I tried to upload a pic of the crack but this only let me upload one due to their size. The owner assured me that it was a common cosmetic flaw but hearing others on here say the same thing makes me feel better.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived