Gibson Brands Forums

customer service

burlyblack

The Masterbilt AJ500M has the exact same size body as a J45. The bracing and the headstock are different.

The AJ500M is a fine guitar, but there are some differences in body size from a J-45.

First, you have to understand that, depending on the year they were built, Epiphone AJ-500M's come in at least two similar body styles that have different dimensions. One is closer to Gibson's than the other.

When they were first released, and for many years after that, the Masterbilt AJ's had a body that was slightly shorter than a Gibson, and with both a wider waist and deeper shoulders. With the release of the Inspired by Texan about two years ago, Epiphone modified the dimensions of its AJ guitars so they are more like Gibson's (the waist is tighter), though I can't say for certain about the other dimensions.

The other very important dimension that makes the AJ-500M unique from the J-45 is the scale length: the AJ-500M is a long-scale instrument. The Gibson J-45 is short-scale.

Don't let those differences put you off. The AJ-500M (and it's virtual twin, the Texan), are fine instruments in their own right. Having both a J-45 and an AJ-500M, I don't think they sound 100% alike (the AJ-500M's bass is characterized by a softer, cello-like attack, so while deep, individual notes are less defined than on a J-45), but each has its own merits and voice you can appreciate.

Red 333

Thanks for the info guys. Odd as it may be, yesterday a national distributer told me an AJ220 is the one. I was not able to get on to the customer service site, it kept on rejecting my e-mail address, even though its the same one I use here. Go figure. thanks again

Thanks for the info guys. Odd as it may be, yesterday a national distributer told me an AJ220 is the one. I was not able to get on to the customer service site, it kept on rejecting my e-mail address, even though its the same one I use here. Go figure. thanks again

The AJ-200 with the solid top is by all reports a very nice guitar for the money. Like a J-45 or AJ-500M, it's got a mahogany body, mahogany neck, and spruce top, but the back and sides are laminated, and the neck has a scarf-joint in it. The AJ-500M is made from all solid woods, and has a one-piece neck--specs closer to the J-45. None of that amounts to anything if the guitar doesn't sound and play good. The Masterbilt guitars typically sound and play very, very well. And not just for the money.

Red 333

Archived