Gibson Brands Forums

Epi EF-500MNS

RamblinRose18

Just got an Epiphone EF-500MNS. I have found that there is a little bit of buzzing. Does anyone have any suggestions how to reduce this buzz. I am just learning to play the guitar and have some unanswered questions as you can see.

Does replacing the standard saddle with a higher quality saddle drastically improve sound ? Would you recommend?

Lastly - what type of strings would you recommend?

The best advice I can offer is to take your guitar to a reputable technician (check the Gibson/Epi website for a list of authorized repair centers) Buzzing can be the result of a variety possible causes: The action may simply be too low (This is quite common and can happen naturally due to changes in humidity), or more structural problems ranging in severity from unlevel frets to a warped neck.

Saddle material and strings certainly do make differences in tone, but what sounds best is purely subjective. Light gauge (Gibson) strings are probably what came with the guitar and are easiest to play. As a beginner, at this point, you probably should play with the original saddle & strings to gain a frame of reference. After all, the guitar sounded good enough with the original set-up for you to buy it. Later on, you can tweak your tone to what pleases you when you know that is. The only frame of reference that you have for making changes now is what other people like. Unless they're paying for or playing your guitar, that's not a good criteria for spending your money & changing your guitar.

Good luck! [thumbup]

Well for your first lesson I will post this for you, its a great resource so make sure you keep it. http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzlist.html

But if you are not comfortable trying to do some of this yourself then find someone who has been playing for a long time and see if he knows of a great set-up tech ( or Luthier ).ship

As to strings well everyone has there own taste but some more reading might help yu determine which strings to try. so another great resource. http://www.flatpick.com/Pages/News_And_Reviews/Gear.html#ST1

• 1 month later...

Just got an Epiphone EF-500MNS. I have found that there is a little bit of buzzing. Does anyone have any suggestions how to reduce this buzz. I am just learning to play the guitar and have some unanswered questions as you can see.

Does replacing the standard saddle with a higher quality saddle drastically improve sound ? Would you recommend?

Lastly - what type of strings would you recommend?

You say you are just learning. With all due respect to your efforts, might it just be that the buzz simply comes from your getting used to pressing down on strings? It was when I was learning. That was when I was 12 or 13--at 61, I still sometimes don't fret as cleanly as I'd like and get more buzz than I'm comfy with--a sitar-like effect sometimes.

Again, not to disparage your playing, but it truly might be as much you as the guitar, as it has been and sometimes still is for many of us. If so, it'll pass with practice and experience.

Archived