Gibson Brands Forums

I nearly found my perfect Les Paul yesterday...

This_Dying_Soul

I tried this out while dropping off one of my non-gibsons for warranty work and fell in love with it.

It felt great, it sounded great, ...but I hated the faded honeyburst finish.

Does Gibson USA make any other LP Standards with 57 Classics and either Modern Machine Head or Locking tuners?

I know I could always upgrade components, but when the time comes for me to get another guitar it would be nice to avoid that hassle and get exactly what I want in a stock instrument.

GOOD GAWD what is wrong with me... here my wife is transitioning to a new job - or more like going into business for herself. ...and I find myself suddenly G.A.S.ing for every variation of the Les Paul Standard and US or Japanese Strats that I come across.

She's a hairstylist and making her move from a budget salon that pays hourly or commision to doing chair rental in a high end salon... basically she buys all her own supplies, and rents a station in the salon and keeps all the profits from her sales and services for herself. Well, since she's got another 2 weeks to go before she starts there and has to get herself about $4000 in supplies this is NO time to be thinking about a guitar. Especially considering I try to allow myself a new guitar every 3 years, and I bought 2 in the past 10 months. The good news is, within 2 or 3 months my wife will have all this stuff paid off and making a nice profit.

as for my desire for a Les Paul with 57 Classics and Modern Machinhead or Locking tuners... I think you're right about this not being something I could find in a stock instrument...

worst thing is, I just checked with gibson about the possibility of swapping tuners and they confirmed that you would not be needing to drill additional holes for the modern machineheads, but the screws are bigger; making it so you can't reverse the upgrade without anyone knowing should I decide to sell the guitar later.

.... I just checked with gibson about the possibility of swapping tuners and they confirmed that you would not be needing to drill additional holes for the modern machineheads, but the screws are bigger; making it so you can't reverse the upgrade without anyone knowing should I decide to sell the guitar later.

Toothpicks and glue. B)

Toothpicks and glue. B)

I suppose I could go that route if I tried to swap back the vintage style Kluson tuners. I've only used that method on strap buttons in the past and I was always constantly repairing it. Maybe it will be different for tuning machines. Something else I just looked into last night was Tone Pro's hardware. They make an improved version of the Kluson. I think I'm going to look into a set of these for my SG Special.

Archived