Gibson Brands Forums

1955 ES 175 d tailpiece

fbarrett

Just bought an ES175d at Sam Ash, represented as a 1955, in searching net and seeing images I notice I have an unusual tailpiece. The bridge and tailpiece are integrated. Dual P90 p/u's.

The bridge portion is approx 1/2" dia. Chromed and arched slightly.

Serial# A23122. Guitar appears to be all original with no repairs or mods.

Can anyone help me identify tailpiece?

Much appreciated

Photos would be very helpful, but from your description it sounds like the bridge/tailpiece on the earliest Les Pauls.

Also, just so you have accurate info on your guitar, that serial number is from 1956. The "A" series serial numbers are fully documented, Sam Ash should have known better.

post-34699-033642600 1311553645_thumb.jpgThank you for the reply. As you can see from the picture the strings wrap over top. i did find some images of a 52 Les Paul with a similar looking bridge but the stings wrap under. I went in to order a new ES-175 but picked this one up and started feeling nostalgic. It is pretty sweet.

Any thoughts appreciated.

It is possible they decided to try that bridge on it..

Google ES 225 and you will see something similar but yeah.. my first though was 52 Les Paul.. my second was ES225..

I know nothing about the 225 so google will help there too.

Good luck;.

It is possible they decided to try that bridge on it..

Google ES 225 and you will see something similar but yeah.. my first though was 52 Les Paul.. my second was ES225..

I know nothing about the 225 so google will help there too.

Good luck;.

Any chance this was a factory installed tail piece? Doesn't appear to have marks from another bridge or tailpiece??

Thanks

• 1 month later...

This is the same type of bridge/tailpiece used on the ES-295. For all purposes... the 295 was virtually the same guitar as the 175d... minus the gold finish, "Les Paul" tailpiece, and creme colored pickups.

I've actually been researching these, myself. I'm considering buying either an early-to-mid 50's ES-175 or ES-295 and was wondering if there are any intonation issues with this type of bridge.

post-12001-011740900 1316227344_thumb.jpeg

... I'm considering buying either an early-to-mid 50's ES-175 or ES-295 and was wondering if there are any intonation issues with this type of bridge.

Intonation issues, yes - that's why Gibson got away from that type of bridge. When you don't have adjustable saddles, you need a very good setup that allows low action to get close to decent intonation.

I recall your thread on this in the Lounge - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/73672-gibson-es-175-vs-es-295/ - Sorry I wasn't more helpful. But let me add here that I've got a jazz box (archtop) that had a factory ebony bridge - the height adjustable, carved, compensated type. I could get the intonation close, but I'm picky. So I switched to a bridge with a Nashville like setup (adjustable saddles). What I'm saying is - this is the type of situation that depends on individual preferences. For me, I'm picky about intonation because when I play above 12, I want the notes to be as close to correct pitch as possible. Other's aren't so picky and have no trouble accepting pitch issues above 12. This is the issue you would have to deal with regarding the vintage ES-295 bridge.

31JBIYLkcOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg. . . a207929131342df537de57_m.JPG

Archived