Gibson Brands Forums

Why is my sound muddy??

strangekid

HELPPPP [confused]

So, I was playing my Wilshire through my fender mini deluxe amp, and I noticed the sound was muddy and sounded disorted... I thought it was the amp (since it is only $40), so I tried it through a better amp, a fender frontman, and it still sounded the same... so then I thought, maybe it was the guitar (the pickups or something), and I tried it through my telecaster and my brother's ibanez.... they also sounded rather muddy... So I was wondering, is the problem the guitar cable? I use the one that comes with the epiphone guitars.

Thoughts???

Hi SK and welcome to the forums, a really great bunch around here, I hope you like it.

First off, get a better cable, the included ones are pretty poor quality, then there are several ways to combat the mudiness you've experienced, I'll list them in terms of cost:

1/ Using capacitors in different arrangements to clean the pickups up, changing the tone pots capacitors, treble bleed mod, and putting a capacitor inline on the pickup's hot lead.

2/ Get an EQ pedal to tailor your sound.

3/ Upgrade the pickups.

If you don't know that much about guitar wiring I'd suggest going with the second option.

It could be the cable... i mean if all the other guitars were sounding the same muddy sound through the amp it can be either A) both amps are weird which is highly unlikely or B) the Epiphone cable you got is well crap like it is... id opt for B cause i had the Epiphone cable too and it was absolute garbage mine broke after about 2 days of use (being a wire to connect my guitar to a tuner but not into an amp). Also that mini Fender Deluxe Amp is crap... i have one... well i'm not using it anymore cause it juts doesn't sound all that great i'm still looking around for other mini amps or maybe it was just mine... but i'm fairly sure its the wire that's broken nothing else. Get a different cable and try playing those same 3 guitars through the amp... if its still muddy then its the amplifier...

Hi SK and welcome to the forums, a really great bunch around here, I hope you like it.

First off, get a better cable, the included ones are pretty poor quality, then there are several ways to combat the mudiness you've experienced, I'll list them in terms of cost:

1/ Using capacitors in different arrangements to clean the pickups up, changing the tone pots capacitors, treble bleed mod, and putting a capacitor inline on the pickup's hot lead.

2/ Get an EQ pedal to tailor your sound.

3/ Upgrade the pickups.

If you don't know that much about guitar wiring I'd suggest going with the second option.

Thanks!

and 2nd one it is!

Any cable recommendations?

It could be the cable... i mean if all the other guitars were sounding the same muddy sound through the amp it can be either A) both amps are weird which is highly unlikely or B) the Epiphone cable you got is well crap like it is... id opt for B cause i had the Epiphone cable too and it was absolute garbage mine broke after about 2 days of use (being a wire to connect my guitar to a tuner but not into an amp). Also that mini Fender Deluxe Amp is crap... i have one... well i'm not using it anymore cause it juts doesn't sound all that great i'm still looking around for other mini amps or maybe it was just mine... but i'm fairly sure its the wire that's broken nothing else. Get a different cable and try playing those same 3 guitars through the amp... if its still muddy then its the amplifier...

Well, yeah it is crap, but it didn't sound muddy before... and yes, like you stated, it seemed unlikely both amps had the same problem...

Pretty much any after market cable will be magnitudes better than the supplied cable, Fender makes several quality levels of cables at reasonable prices, just make sure the one you get is shielded, the shielding will hep protect against unwanted interference, and they're much better with screw on metal connectors rather than a .molded plastic connector.

EDIT: I have a mini deluxe also, I only bought it to practice while traveling, as an everyday amp it leaves a lot to be desired, when you can afford it, get a better amp too.

Thanks!

and 2nd one it is!

Any cable recommendations?

Visit the Gibson Lounge.......There is currently a thread about guitar cables................

My regular brand is Live Wire.......I use expensive brands when needed...............

I believe that your main problem is the supplied cord.........

Archived