Gibson Brands Forums

HELP! 65-66 Epiphone Coronet

jeffreylucky1

I am trying to restore a vintage 65-66 Epiphone Coronet to factory specs. Someone replaced the wraparound compensated bridge (which only acted as a normal bridge since the tremelo held the strings) wit a floating wooden bridge. The factory stud bushings are still there. I need to know what threads they take and where to find studs. I purchased a bridge and the studs appear the same size and will start to thread in, but the threads are not quite correct. I am told thet these are Gibson parts also used on LP Jr's, Specials, TV models, etc.

untitled2.png

I can't help you out with the threads, but I just want to congratulate you on getting a Coronet, it's the vintage Epi model I most covet, I hope you're able to get it back in shape, best of luck with it, and keep us posted, I'm sure there'd be many interested, HVGD.

Thanks Rastus! Here are some more pics....she is almost all original and no breaks/repairs. The solder joints are not broken and the pots date to the 26th week of 1965. All I need is the bridge and the tremelo arm. Do you think it was worth the $100 I paid for her? Seriously, I almost s**t myself when a friend called me last week and said a buddy wanted to sell a "junk" guitar for $100 and it turned out to be this one! He said his dad played it in church and he would never use it and needed cash right now. I was happy to help him out. This is almost as cool as th 69 Les Paul Custom I found for $600 a few years ago.

untitled3.png

2011-07-24_23-00-07_526.jpg

untitled1.png

I am trying to restore a vintage 65-66 Epiphone Coronet to factory specs. Someone replaced the wraparound compensated bridge (which only acted as a normal bridge since the tremelo held the strings) wit a floating wooden bridge. The factory stud bushings are still there. I need to know what threads they take and where to find studs. I purchased a bridge and the studs appear the same size and will start to thread in, but the threads are not quite correct. I am told thet these are Gibson parts also used on LP Jr's, Specials, TV models, etc.

untitled2.png

It sounds like the bridge / studs you have are metric, not Gibson. Gibson and vintage USA Epiphones use SAE, I believe the size of the studs is 5/16-24. Even if you find the correct studs, I don't think a metric bridge will fit them properly. Don't alter the guitar to fit a metric bridge, find the correct one that fits the proper bushings. Keep it original!!!

Also, the original tailpieces were compensated for a heavy wound G-string. Some manufactures make a modern version that are designed for plain G-strings. Or you might consider one with adjustable saddles. I haven't personally tried it, but Wilkinson makes one that allows you to adjust the G-string saddle. There are a few options, just don't do anything to the guitar you can't undo.

Good luck & congrats on the nice axe...

Thanks Jerrymac!

I think you are absolutely correct. I know the new ones are SAE 5/16x24....just wasn't sure whether the old ones were. I really want this thing to be original. Any idea where I can find the correct bridge/studs and Maestro Vibrola arm? That's all I need for a 100% Kalamazoo P90 mahogany tone machine!

Thanks Jerrymac!

I think you are absolutely correct. I know the new ones are SAE 5/16x24....just wasn't sure whether the old ones were. I really want this thing to be original. Any idea where I can find the correct bridge/studs and Maestro Vibrola arm? That's all I need for a 100% Kalamazoo P90 mahogany tone machine!

Not sure where you can find the arm, but here's the bridge

Just for fun, check this out

That's a nice bridge, but I only paid $100 for the guitar....hate to double my investment....lol.

I checked out that link....WOW! $4000 for one of these? I doubt it fetches that price, but still! I wonder what this little gem is worth?

Go ahead and double your investment. That guitar is probably worth about ten times what you paid for it as it is.

Awesome guitar and CONGRATS!

That's a nice bridge, but I only paid $100 for the guitar....hate to double my investment....lol.

I checked out that link....WOW! $4000 for one of these? I doubt it fetches that price, but still! I wonder what this little gem is worth?

Do you think this one would be "correct" enough?

http://www.stewmac.c...ior_Bridge.html

The price is better for sure!

$4K is a lot unless it mint and all original. Just going by your small pix, I'd say you're looking at 2K to 2.5K assuming there's no major breaks (headstock or where it joins the body are weak points on these guitars).

As far as the bridge is concerned, I would get the Gibson if you're looking to restore it to original. That will keep the value at the highest level, and you'll need it if you decide to sell it. The cheap comes out expensive, you would likely lose money if it had an after market bridge.

OTH, if this is going to be a player, I would look for the most functional bridge, something like the Wilkinson. I think Gotoh makes a real nice modern style bridge. Schaller. BadAss. There's a few options out there that are improvements to the original. Especially if you're using light gauge strings. Just as long as it's a direct fit with no mod to the guitar. AND I'd still get an original Gibson and keep it in the case for when you need it...

The last thing I'd do is buy an after market bridge that won't intonate correctly. That's the worst of both worlds.

Do I need an old Gibson bridge or will a new one be fine? There are several of both on ebay but the old ones are very expensive.

I'll try again, it's your guitar you can put anything on it. You indicate you want to keep it original which gives you 2 choices. An original which is very expensive or a new Gibson for about $100. I gave you the link.

Now I will repeat this emphatically, those bridges are a lot of money and they suck. The G-string will not intonate correctly unless you use heavy gauge strings with a wound G. If you're going to sell it, Gibson bridge. Hang it on the wall, Gibson bridge. Gig with it, a modern replacement bridge that will intonate and will not require alterations to the guitar. That's my advise, I can't make the decision for you.

As far as old versus new Gibson bridge, new is fine UNLESS the guitar is mint and otherwise unmodified. If the guitar is near factory new, it could be worth 4K and using a non original bridge could greatly devalue it. If the finish is a little worn, or something else is making it less than mint, then it's already lost the value and spending the big bucks on a vintage bridge won't matter that much and wouldn't be worth the cost.

The coronet is one of the coolest epiphones ever. Good luck getting it restored. That's what it deserves! $100?? *Jaw Drops*

I hate to change the subject but were did you find your avatar picture.....eusa_clap.gif

Haha! One of the more common requests that come my way. The truth is that I stole it off another member on another forum but in the last year I haven't been able to find the original picture which I found in a google search after seeing it for the first time.

Betty and a JL Epi? I had to have it!

Thanks Rastus! It playes pretty sweet actually! The P90 has a really cool sound (better than the new ones to my ears). It isn't intonated to suit me (I use .10-.46) but I was warned that it wouldn't be. I may get another bridge to use unless I sell it. I am hoping to get enough out of her to buy another Les Paul. They are my favorite.

I have spent a lot of time cleaning this Coronet and getting her ready to play. I will have to admit that I have become quite attached to her. I also know she wants to be played....she has always been played. I don't think it would be fair to keep her in a closet or under a bed and she just doesn't fit my style of music. Decisions.....only time will tell!

www.uglyearly.com

Yes Rastus, that is my band. I thought you might want to check it out. I play in two bands currently. Do you perform live?

I checked the site out a bit, but some parts require M$ Silverlight, I can install a plugin but no M$ crap comes near my lovely Linux setup, LOL.

No mate, I don't even perform for myself for the most part, probably best described as an eternal beginner, I'm more a modder and tinkerer type dude, that's what I really love to do.

I hear ya Rastus. I love to mod my stuff too! Especially if I don't plan on selling them....

I couldn't bear to part with one of my modded geets, if someone wants me to mod one for them then they'd have to supply the guitar rather than me sourcing one for them, just so I have no personal attachment to it.

Archived