Gibson Brands Forums

Dirty Fingers (Bridge only) question

Rinkzate

Does bridge only REALLY mean bridge only?

Am I gonna fry something if I stick this in neck position?

Is it just plain not going to work?

I ask because I just ordered one of these on eBay (description was a little vague in relation to whether it was neck or bridge) and I would like to have it in the neck position and a SH-8 Duncan invader in the bridge position, since from what I've heard the Dirty Fingers gets better cleans than the Invader's muddy cleans.

So yeah, appreciate any help!

IF a pickup is designed for the bridge position it usually over wound to have a lot more output and a boost in low end response. This is because there is less string movement at the bridge which can make bridge pickups sound thin and weak. Moving a bridge pickup to the neck position can result in a very loud and overly boomy tone with playing with just the neck pickup.

Good to know. Then I may have to just stick this thing in the bridge like it's intended and find a better neck pickup than an invader neck, since I'm sure those will still be muddy regardless of their being intended for the neck.

Guest BentonC

Bridge position pickups typically have a wider pole-piece spacing and higher output. Any of our pickups can be used in either position, but they are typically suited better in one position or the other due to the output and pole spacing.

I think that this pup is intended only for the bridge position because of the pole spacing in it. And because of the hotter windings and output it really is only suited for the bridge. But try it somewhere else, who knows, you just might invent a totally new sound!

Good to know. Then I may have to just stick this thing in the bridge like it's intended and find a better neck pickup than an invader neck, since I'm sure those will still be muddy regardless of their being intended for the neck.

Yes, I am a big fan of the Dirty Fingers pickups, but I cannot imagine trying to pair it up with an Invader. Try to find a matching DF neck pickup to put in there, and they will sound GREAT together!

Archived