Gibson Brands Forums

Board setup

DJScott

I know it's all about personal preference, but I've never had more than 2 pedals until now, so I'm looking for best-case placement.

My pedals are listed in my signature, just wondering, what would be the logical placement for 70's, 80's and 90's rock/metal?

Start experimenting orders, although

Dunlop - Cry Baby,Pedal Boost/Line Driver, Super Comp, GCB-95 Boss - DS-1, MXR - Zach Wylde Overdrive, Distortion +,Smart Gate, Phase 90, , Micro Chorus, Micro Flanger,

Is probably a good starting place, a few members like wah after distortion, so that's worth trying, also experiment with the line driver.

Start experimenting orders, although

Dunlop - Cry Baby,Pedal Boost/Line Driver, Super Comp, GCB-95 Boss - DS-1, MXR - Zach Wylde Overdrive, Distortion +,Smart Gate, Phase 90, , Micro Chorus, Micro Flanger,

Is probably a good starting place, a few members like wah after distortion, so that's worth trying, also experiment with the line driver.

Awesome answer........Of course, next to each other and in rows helps as well....just sayin'......

100% on experimentation. Some pedals just behave oddly. I have a Fulltone '70 fuzz that hates being after my crybaby for example, so I have to have it first. There's a different sound there too that I rather like. You get a lot more tone sweep having it after, where if you put it first, the tone sweep is muted somewhat by the fuzz effect in general, and specifically the fuzz pedal's tone setting.

The best rule of thumb I've found is to figure out what sounds you want to be most present. If you want the effect to be more mellow, put it early in the chain. If you want it to be really present, put it later.

Example: If you chuck a volume or modulation type pedal before a distortion pedal, some of the work the volume/mod pedal is doing is going to be undone and evened out by the distortion. Put them the other way and the distortion tone is going to be manipulated wildly by the pedal, giving you more of a volume or modulation change in your driven tone.

Start with the standard: Filters -> Compressors -> Dirt Boxes -> Modulation -> Volume -> Time

Then mix things up wildy! Put everything in reverse order!

Have fun!

- B

I was taught this basic rule many years ago:

First in the chain go pedals that increase the harmonic content of the sound, e.g. overdrives;

Next are pedals that alter the harmonic content - filters, waas, flangers/chorus - these are more effective on the increased harmonic content created by the overdrives;

Then a noise gate, if you use one, to cut after all the hiss and grumbling the previous pedals will generate;

At the end of the chain go the pedals that simulate room environments - delay and reverb;

Then switch the order witin the various sub-groups for personal preference.

OK, so what I'm getting here is basically, the closer the pedal is to the amp, the stronger it will be on the board?

No. Not at all. You want to put your pedals in an order where they work well with each other. Being closer to the amp does not make them "stronger".

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate the time you all saved me. Got the basic sound I was looking for, just need to tweek the knobs a bit.

Here's how I lined them up:

Guitar into Cry Baby, then Overdrive, Chorus, Phase, Flanger, Gate, Comp, Distortion +, DS-1 and Boost.

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate the time you all saved me. Got the basic sound I was looking for, just need to tweek the knobs a bit.

Here's how I lined them up:

Guitar into Cry Baby, then Overdrive, Chorus, Phase, Flanger, Gate, Comp, Distortion +, DS-1 and Boost.

Looks good except that I would have put the Distortion plus after the overdrive and thrown the DS-1 in the trash.

Made a change, was losing volume with previous line-up.

Moved the comp after the wah, chorus, phase, flanger, gate, overdrive, dist+, DS-1, boost.

MUCH better.

Thanks for the input guys, now I need a Boss TU2 or 3 and I'm set.

Archived